Heading into 1989, silver prices were down and the Silver American Eagle coins experienced a boost in production that delivered a slight uptick in mintages from the previous year. For one of the few times in the program’s history, growth of the bullion and proof versions of the coin were very similar. The 1989-S Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available now on Silver.com in perfect condition.
- There are 1,235 coins available with this finish and certification!
- Fourth release of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin.
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Earned a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Ultra-cameo finish.
- Bears the image of Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle of the United States graces the reverse.
- Includes an “S” mint mark from the San Francisco Mint.
There was a minimal uptick in the number of Silver American Eagle coins produced in 1989. Following the severe dip in 1988, coin production increase by less than 300,000 coins overall. The bullion version of the coin accounted for just under 200,000 of that increase, with the 1989 Proof Silver American Eagle experiencing a jump of 60,000 coins.
This was, by far, the closest volume of increase for the bullion and proof coins in any given year of the Silver American Eagle program. Most years see the proof program increase or decrease by an average of 50,000 coins. The bullion coins, by in large, ebb and flow by a minimum of 400,000 coins.
1989-S Proof Silver American Eagle coins were available for purchase originally for one of the most affordable premiums in program history at just $23.00 per coin. The average price of silver throughout 1989 was $5.51.
Each 1989-S Proof Silver American Eagle coin in this product listing earned a grade of PF70 from the NGC. Considered perfect specimens, these coins have full, original mint luster and feature no detracting flaws of any kind.
If you have any questions, the customer service team at Silver.com is available to help you out. Please feel free to contact us on the phone at 888-989-7223. You can also connect with us online using our live web chat or email features.