The decline of silver prices in the early 1990s meant an increase in the mintage of bullion Silver Eagle coins. The Proof Silver American Eagle also benefited from lower silver prices and increasing interest in the nation’s official silver coin. Today, the 1990-S Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available as a perfect specimen on Silver.com.
- Just 1,606 coins have this finish and certification!
- Fifth consecutive release of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab from the NGC.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of $1 (USD) by the United States government.
- Bears a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Available with an Ultra-cameo finish.
- Features the image of Walking Liberty.
- Heraldic eagle of the US on the reverse.
- San Francisco Mint’s “S” mint mark.
For the second consecutive year the Proof Silver American Eagle experienced an increase in mintage. After dipping severely following 1987, the 1990 Silver American Eagle proof jumped to 695,510. This represented an increase of roughly 78,000 coins over the previous year and nearly 140,000 coins from 1988.
At the same time, the bullion program saw a modest boost of nearly 640,000 coins from the year before, bringing the total mintage in the series for 1990 to 6.5 million coins compared to 5.8 million in 1989. While the bullion program would continue higher in the years to come, the 695,000 coins in the proof version was a high-water mark that would not be seen again in the program until 2001.
Low silver prices were responsible for much of the gains the Silver Eagle series saw in 1990. While the average price throughout the year was lower than 1989, at $4.83 per ounce, it ranged from a high of $5.35 per ounce to a low of $3.95 per ounce. This was one of the lowest silver prices seen throughout the 30-year history of the program.
The 1990-S Proof Silver American Eagles in this listing have perfect PF70 grades from the NGC. Coins such as these exhibit full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws. UCAM coins have strong, frosted finishes on the design set and a deeply-mirrored, clear background field.
Please direct your questions to a Silver.com associate. You can reach one of our team members at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or submit your questions to us via email.