For the second straight year, the Proof Silver American Eagle showed signs of life. Following the booming introductory year of 1986 and a strong showing in 1987, the proof Silver Eagle had retreated significantly in 1988. Just two short years later though, the coin’s popularity was growing again. Right now, the 1990-S Proof Silver American Eagle is available as a perfect specimen from Silver.com.
- Just 2,925 coins have this certification level!
- Fifth annual release of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin.
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a grade of PR70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Deep-cameo finish.
- Features Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- Modern interpretation of the heraldic eagle on the reverse.
- “S” mint mark of the San Francisco Mint.
After crashing back to Earth in 1988, the Silver American Eagle coin program put together a few years of sustained growth in the late 1980s and early 1990s. This trend continued in 1990 as the US Mint saw production of the popular proof product jump significantly for the second consecutive year.
Production of the proof coins increased by 60,000 between 1988 and 1989. The 1990-S Proof Silver American Eagle show continued gains, increasing nearly 70,000 coins from the year before, finishing with more than 695,000 coins struck in total.
The 1990-S Proof Silver American Eagle coins in this product listing feature PR70 grades from the PCGS. Considered perfect specimens, these coins exhibit their full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws of any kind.
Deep-cameo coins have an intriguing contrast between the coin’s surfaces. The design set of the coin has a strong, frosted matte finish while the background field is deeply-mirrored and clear.
The obverse face of the coin includes the iconic image of Walking Liberty, created in 1916 by Adolph A. Weinman. On the reverse, the modern heraldic eagle of the United States from US Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti (1986-2010).
If you have any questions, we encourage you to reach out to a Silver.com associate. You can contact us directly on the phone at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online using our web chat feature, or contact us anytime through our email address.