The 1991 release of Silver American Eagle coins was one of contrasting fortunes between the bullion and proof versions of the coin. While one was on the rise, hitting a mark that wouldn’t be seen again for eight years, the other was sinking in popularity. Right now, the 1991-S Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available for purchase in perfect condition from Silver.com.
- Only 743 coins earned this certification from the NGC!
- Sixth release of the Silver American Eagle proof coin!
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a grade of PF70 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Features an Ultra-cameo finish.
- “S” mint mark of the San Francisco Mint.
- Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle on the reverse.
Silver American Eagle sales in 1991 surged to a new high for the third-consecutive year for the bullion version of the coin. After dropping from 11.4 million to 5.0 million in 1988, the coin had steadily grown to reach 7.19 million in 1991.
On the other hand, the 1991 Proof Silver American Eagle ushered in an era of declining mintage for the collector’s version. After two years of growth, the Proof Silver American Eagle dropped more than 180,000 in number from 695,000 in 1990 to 511,925 in 1991. This was just the beginning though as the Proof Silver American Eagle shed mintage numbers for the next three years, eventually bottoming out at an all-time low in 1994.
The drop in popularity of and demand for the Proof Silver American Eagle was the result of silver prices that were holding at lower levels, driving more investors to the bullion version of the coin instead. The average price of silver throughout 1991 was $4.05, with a low point of $3.61 per ounce.
All 1991-S Proof Silver American Eagle coins available here on Silver.com have PF70 grades from the NGC. Each coin exhibits full, original luster from the mint and lacks any detracting flaws on its surfaces.
UCAM, or ultra-cameo, is a term that defines proof coins with an exceptional finish. The design set of each of these coins has a strong, frosted matte finish. The background field contrasts that with a deeply-mirrored, clear finish.
If you have questions, please contact Silver.com associates directly at 888-989-7223. You can also reach us online using our live chat and email features.