The 1992 production year of Silver American Eagle coins saw a drop in demand across the board, all in spite of the decrease in the price of silver. An improving American economy is largely to blame for the dip in popularity of the Silver Eagles during the early 1990s. The 1992-S Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available for purchase now on Silver.com.
- There are 997 coins in this finish and condition!
- Seventh release of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s perfect condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Earned a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- UCAM finish.
- Walking Liberty design on the obverse.
- Iconic heraldic eagle of the US on the reverse.
- Includes the “S” mint mark of the San Francisco Mint.
Mintage for the Silver American Eagle dropped across the board in 1992. The bullion coins shed 1.5 million coins, falling from 7.19 million the previous year to finish with a sales total of 5.54 million in 1992.
The Proof Silver American Eagle continued its freefall in 1992. Although production dipped less significantly than 1990-1991, the loss of another 13,000 coins in the mintage was the continuation of a downward trend that wouldn’t stop until 1994. These 1992 Proof Silver American Eagle coins were the last ones struck by the San Francisco Mint.
Starting in 1993, the coins would be struck at the Philadelphia Mint until 2000. There wouldn’t be another Proof Silver American Eagle struck at the San Francisco Mint until 2012 when the United States Mint celebrated the 75th anniversary of the San Francisco location.
Much of the blame for the decline in Silver Eagle popularity fell to the price of silver. The average price per ounce of silver in 1992 was $3.95, the lowest yearly average during the 30-year history of the program. Prices ranged from a low of $3.95 to a high of $4.33 throughout the year.
The 1992-S Proof Silver American Eagle coins in this product listing earned perfect grades from the NGC. Coins in PF70 condition exhibit full, original luster from the mint and lack all detracting flaws. UCAM coins have strong, frosted design sets and deeply-mirrored, clear background fields.
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com associates are available on the phone at 888-989-7223, online using our live web chat, and via our email.