As the world pushed further toward Y2K and uncertainty increased about economic stability, the Silver American Eagle continued to reap the rewards of those economic questions. The 1999 Silver American Eagle program boasted impressive numbers, including bullion mintage figures not seen since 1987. Right now, the 1999-P Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available as a perfect proof on Silver.com.
- Just 1,645 coins earned this certification level in 1999!
- 14th annual production of the Silver American Eagle proof coin!
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a PR70 grade by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Features a DCAM finish.
- Includes the image of Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- The heraldic eagle of the US is on the reverse.
- Philadelphia Mint’s “P” mint mark is visible on the coin.
While much of the purchasing in the American Eagle series at the turn of the century was focused on the Gold American Eagle, the Silver American Eagle saw significant increases in demand as well. The vast majority of growth in the 1999 Silver American Eagle coins came from the bullion version, which jumped nearly 3 million coins from 4.8 million in 1998 to 7.4 million in 1999.
The Proof Silver American Eagle saw its popularity rise again as well, for a second consecutive year. The US Mint established a maximum mintage for 1999 of 550,000 coins, and while the mint announced a sellout, actual sales hit 549,796. While below the sellout figure, it did represent a jump from 1998 by almost 100,000 coins.
Each 1999-P Proof Silver American Eagle coin in this listing has a grade of PR70 from the PCGS. Considered a perfect proof specimen, these coins exhibit full, original mint luster and bear no detracting flaws of any kind.
DCAM is a term used to define proof products with a deep-cameo finish. This means the design set has a strong, frosted appearance while the background field is deeply-mirrored and clear in appearance.
If you have any questions about these PCGS Graded Silver American Eagles or any other American Eagle coin, please feel free to contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223. We’re also available online using our live chat service and email feature.