The 2008 release of the Silver American Eagle was monumental for a number of reasons. In particular, one event occurred that would impact all three versions of the Silver American Eagle available for sale from the United States Mint. Today, the 2008-W Proof Silver American Eagle coin is now available for purchase on Silver.com.
- A total of 22,502 coins earned this certification and designation!
- 23rd striking of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s perfect condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Earned a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Ultra-cameo designation for its brilliant finish.
- Bears the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
- Features Walking Liberty from Adolph A. Weinman on the obverse.
- Heraldic Eagle of the United States from John Mercanti on the reverse.
At the end of 2007, the global economy entered the Great Recession. The impact on the Silver American Eagle coin program was far reaching in both the short and long term. After a bullion mintage of 9.02 million in 2007, the production of the investment-grade Silver Eagle more than doubled to a new high of 20.583 million coins.
The impact on the 2008-W Proof Silver American Eagle was far reaching. For 2008 immediately, the massive increase in bullion production meant the US Mint had to divert incoming silver blanks to bullion coin production. While the US Mint is required by federal law to meet demand for bullion coins, the same does not apply to the Proof Silver Eagle.
As such, the mint sold out in August at 700,979 2008 Proof Silver American Eagle coins. In the long term, the impact on the Proof Silver American Eagle would last until 2010. The United States Mint would again see unprecedented demand for the bullion coin in 2009, resulting in a halt to Proof Silver Eagle production for the entirety of 2009.
Each 2008-W Proof Silver American Eagle coin in this Silver.com listing is a perfect product with a PF70 grade from the NGC. Coins in this condition exhibit full, original mint luster and feature no detracting flaws on the surfaces. UCAM is a designation for proof coins with a strong, frosted design and deeply-mirrored, clear background field.
If you have any questions, please contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us.