Following one year out of production, the Proof Silver American Eagle returned to the market in 2010. Amid intense demand for the bullion version of the nation’s official silver coins, the United States Mint diverted most of the silver blanks it received to the bullion production line. Right now, the 2010-W Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available for purchase in perfect condition on Silver.com.
- Record high 18,506 coins in this condition and finish!
- 24th striking of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a grade of PR70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Features a DCAM designation.
- Includes the Walking Liberty image on the obverse.
- The heraldic eagle of the United States graces the reverse.
- “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
The Great Recession and its accompanying demand for precious metals drove the United States Mint to great lengths to keep bullion coins available for investors in 2008 and 2009. The Proof Silver Eagle saw lower production in 2008 as the US Mint experienced record demand for the bullion version.
One year later in 2009, the US Mint suspended production of the Proof Silver American Eagle as demand for the bullion coins rose again to 30.45 million. That represented a jump of 10 million coins, and the US Mint was redirecting all silver blanks to bullion production.
In 2010, the bullion version again increased, at a more modest level of 4.3 million to 34.76 million in total. The Proof Silver American Eagle returned with one of its highest production levels every, at a total of 849,861 coins. The burnished Silver Eagle, suspended as well in 2009, did not return in 2010 either.
Silver prices were astronomical in 2010. The price ranged from a low of $15.14 per ounce to a high of $30.70 per ounce throughout the year. The average price during 2010 hovered between $15 and $20 per ounce, crossing the $20 per ounce threshold in September and rising steadily throughout the remainder of the calendar year.
Each 2010-W Proof Silver American Eagle available now is a perfect proof with a PR70 grade from the PCGS. This indicates coins with full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws. DCAM is a term used on proof specimens with strong, frosted matte designs and a deeply-mirrored, clear background field.
Please feel free to contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or submit your questions to us via email.