The American Eagle Series from the United States Mint is arguably the single most popular program from the mint. Each year the mint releases these brilliant coins in bullion and proof versions across three different precious metals: gold, silver, and platinum. Today, Silver.com offers the 2016-W 1 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle coin with a perfect certification from the NGC.
- Ships to you in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s perfect condition.
- Limited mintage of only 10,000 coins total!
- 20th different design in the Proof Platinum American Eagle series.
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .9995 fine platinum.
- Face value of $100 (USD) is fully supported by the US government.
- Graded PF70 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Ultra-cameo finish.
- Designated an Early Release coin.
- Obverse features the image of Liberty from John Mercanti.
- Reverse bears the Torches of Liberty theme from Paul C. Balan and Joseph Menna.
- Includes the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
Proof Platinum American Eagle coins feature new reverse designs every year, the only coins from the United States Mint to do so. The reverse designs have been unveiled in different themes over the course of time. The first ran from 1998 to 2002 and was entitled the Vistas of Liberty.
Currently, the Proof Platinum American Eagle coin features the Torches of Liberty design. The creators are designer Paul C. Balan of the United States Mint Artistic Fusion Program and United States Mint Engraver-Sculptor Joseph Menna. The two-year series is in its final year in 2016 with the Torch of Enlightenment design.
Each 2016-W 1 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle coin in this Silver.com listing features a PF70 grade from the NGC. Considered perfect specimens, the coins have full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws.
As Ultra-cameo coins, these products have a brilliant contrast between the strong, frosted finish of the design sets and the deeply-mirrored, clear background fields. Early Release coins must arrive at the NGC or third-party, approved depositories within the first 30 days of the 2016 release date the US Mint set for Platinum American Eagle.
On the obverse of the Platinum American Eagle is the image of Liberty, which is known as the Portraits of Liberty. The reverse of the coin features Liberty holding the torch of enlightenment and an olive branch, with an American bald eagle flying through the background field.
If you have any questions about these coins, please feel free to reach out to Silver.com. You can contact us on the phone at 888-989-7223, reach out to us online using our live web chat, or send us an email. To view similar products, check out our full selection of Platinum Coins.