The Proof Platinum American Eagle is the most unique annual coin program from the United States Mint. What makes the Proof Platinum American Eagle different is the rotating design features of the reverse side. It is the only coin from the mint to feature new designs on the reverse each year. Right now, the 2016-W 1 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle Coin is available on Silver.com in near-perfect condition.
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Limited mintage of only 10,000 coins!
- 20th new design on the reverse of the Proof Platinum American Eagle.
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .9995 fine platinum.
- Bears a face value of $100 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a grade of PR69 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Deep-cameo finish.
- Designated a First Strike coin.
- Obverse features the image of Liberty from John Mercanti.
- Reverse bears the Torches of Liberty design theme.
- Includes a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
Platinum American Eagle coins are the official platinum coins of the United States, available in both bullion and proof versions. The collectible proof version of the coin has proven the most popular in the series over its nearly 20-year history.
Each of the 2016 Proof Platinum American Eagle coins in this Silver.com listing features a PR69 grade from the PCGS. Coins in this condition are considered near-perfect specimens, with full, original mint luster still present. These coins do feature a maximum of two minor detracting flaws, which are limited to miniscule contact marks and blemishes, and found outside the primary focal areas of the coin.
As a First Strike coin, these Platinum American Eagles arrived at the PCGS depository within the first 30 days of the release date set by the US Mint for its 2016 Platinum Eagle coins. As a Deep-cameo specimen, these coins feature a strong, frosted finish on the design sets and a deeply-mirrored, clear background field.
The obverse of each coin features the image of the Statue of Liberty designed by former-Chief Engraver of the United States Mint John Mercanti, which is known as the Portraits of Liberty design theme.
On the reverse of the 2016-W 1 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle coin is the second and final Torches of Liberty design, which is known as the Torch of Enlightenment and features a gorgeous image of Liberty holding the torch of enlightenment in her right hand and an olive branch in her left.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Silver.com. Our customer service associates are available at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and via our email address.