There are few gold coins in the world that are more popular than the Gold American Eagle. Produced annually by the United States Mint, featuring guaranteed weight and purity by the US federal government, these coins are a top choice among investors and collectors alike. Silver.com is proud to offer the 2016-W 4-Coin Proof Gold American Eagle Set, with one of each of the four popular weights in the nation’s official gold coin series.
- 30th annual release of the Proof Gold American Eagle coin!
- Set includes one of each of the four weights in the Gold Eagle series!
- Ships to you in a commemorative wooden display box with Certificate of Authenticity.
- Each of the four coins consists of 22-karat gold. Set includes 1.85 troy oz gold.
- Individual face values issued by the United States government.
- Set features the popular 1 oz, ½ oz, ¼ oz, and 1/10 oz Proof Gold Eagles.
- Obverse of each features Liberty as designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
- Reverse bears the image of a family of nesting bald eagles from Miley Busiek.
- Includes the West Point Mint’s “W” mint mark.
The Proof Gold American Eagle debuted in 1986 along with the bullion version of the coin, and its counterpart Silver American Eagle series. In this introductory year, only the 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coin was available for purchase by the public. The 1 oz coin has a face value of $50 (USD).
In 1987, the US Mint expanded the Proof Gold American Eagle series with the release of the ½ oz coin, the first of the fractional-weight offerings. The ½ oz Proof Gold American Eagle has a face value of $25 (USD).
The final release of new fractional-weight coins came in 1988 when the mint introduced the ¼ oz and 1/10 oz coins. These have respective face values of $10 (USD) and $5 (USD). All of the coins feature .9167 purity in the gold.
On the obverse of every Proof Gold American Eagle is Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ 1907 depiction of Liberty. Originally used on the $20 Gold Double Eagle, this design is considered the greatest in American history. In addition to minor refinements for modern production, the only change the US Mint made to Saint-Gaudens’ design was the addition of two more stars to reflect the addition of Hawaii and Alaska to the Union.
The reverse of the coins in the 2016-W 4-Coin Proof Gold American Eagle set bears the image of a family of nesting bald eagles. Created by Miley Busiek, it depicts a male eagle flying over the nest as a female guards a group of hatchlings.
Each of the coin in this set was struck by the West Point Mint facility, which handles the production of all three versions and four weights of the Gold American Eagle series. The mint’s involvement is marked by the “W” mint mark.
Please contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223, chat with us online, or email us with any questions you have about this set.