2012 5 oz Acadia ATB Silver Coins (BU)
$333.65 As low as $331.15
2012 America the Beautiful Silver Coin Releases
One of the most popular coin programs in the United States today is the America the Beautiful coin series. Building upon the success of the state quarters program, America the Beautiful quarters celebrate the history of the nation’s national forests, national parks, and historic monuments. While the state quarters program (1999-2008), and subsequent federal district and territories program (2009), honored national sites on circulation quarters, the ATB Silver Coins series is a separate program.
Overview of America the Beautiful Bullion Coins
All America the Beautiful bullion coins contain 5 oz of .999 fine silver. These coins are larger than the standard circulation quarter released by the United States Mint, and these America the Beautiful quarters are not designed for release into circulation, even though each is considered legal tender.
America the Beautiful is a 56-coin series that honors one representative landmark, forest, or park from each jurisdiction. The program was authorized with passage of the America’s Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008. Under the tenets of the program, the US Mint will release five new coin designs representing five jurisdictions each year. The program debuted in 2010, and is scheduled to run through 2021, with the Secretary of the Treasury holding the power to extend the program through 2033.
On the reverse side of each coin in the America the Beautiful series is a unique image of a national park, forest, or landmark from each state, territory, or district. The coin designs were chosen through a collaborative selection process that involved former Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner, former Secretary of the Interior Kenneth Salazar, and the governor or chief executive of the jurisdiction in question.
The obverse side of each coin resembles the obverse of a standard American quarter. The left-profile portrait of President George Washington, the nation’s first elected leader, was refined in 1932 by John Flanagan based upon an original sculpture created by William Cousins in 1786. Engravings on this side of the coin include “United States of America,” “Liberty,” and the motto “In God We Trust.”
2012 ATB Silver Coins Available on Silver.com
The America the Beautiful coin series honored a new set of five jurisdictions on the 2012 ATB Silver Coins, including the first territory to be featured on an ATB coin. The states and territories covered in the 2012 production year include:
- Puerto Rico: The first territory honored in the ATB series, the Puerto Rico coin commemorates El Yunque National Forest. This is the only tropical rainforest in the United States, and was originally established as a protective region by Spain’s King Alfonso XII in 1876. Total mintage for this coin was 24,000.
- New Mexico: Chaco Culture National Historical Park honors the ancient cultural crossroads found in New Mexico. Chaco Canyon was once a cultural crossroads for Aztec, Mayan, and Pueblo peoples living in the area between 900 and 1150 AD. Total mintage for these coins was 24,400.
- Maine: Acadia National Park is located along the nation’s far northeast coast, and features a variety of woodlands, small mountain ranges, and rocky coastlines. The park was established in 1916, and total mintage for these coins was 25,400.
- Hawaii: The island state of Hawaii is the most recent and final state to join the Union, doing so in 1959. Hawaii is home to two of the most active volcanoes in the world, Kilauea and Mauna Loa. Both volcanoes are found within the confines of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Total mintage for this coin was 20,000.
- Alaska: The 49th state in the Union, Alaska is known as the Last Frontier, a motto that is embodied by its vast stretches of untamed land. The centerpiece of the Alaskan wilderness is Mount McKinley, known locally as Denali, which is the largest peak in the United States. Denali National Park and Reserve covers a vast stretch of the state, and total mintage for this coin was 20,000.
These America the Beautiful coins were struck by the United States Mint at two of its coining facilities. The Denver Mint and Philadelphia Mint bear the responsibility for producing 2012 ATB Silver Coins, as well as those struck during other years of the program.
Certified 2012 ATB Silver Coins on Silver.com
Silver.com offers a wide selection of 2012 ATB Silver Coins for those looking to invest in or collect these stunning coins. In addition to Brilliant Uncirculated coins, Silver.com also offers certified coins graded by either the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation or Professional Coin Grading Service. Certification from either service instills instant value to any coin. Standard labels and terms used by the grading service include:
- Mint State 70: Considered perfect coins, these have their full, original luster, and no detracting flaws. These are labeled MS70.
- Mint State 69: Considered near-perfect coins, these have their full, original luster, and no more than two minor detracting flaws. These are labeled MS69.
- DM: Deeply-mirrored describes the background appearance of the coin.
- PL: Proof-like describes the overall visual appearance of the coin.
- DMPL: Deeply-mirrored, proof-like coins are bullion products that mimic the visual brilliance of a proof coin.
Payment Methods, Shipping, and Insurance through Silver.com
Silver.com accepts a variety of payment methods for your investment in 2012 ATB Silver Coins. A brief overview of accepted payment methods, processing times, and minimum/maximum purchase is featured below:
- Credit/debit cards: We accept Visa and MasterCard credit/debit cards, with no minimum purchase and a maximum purchase of $5,000. Payments process in one business day. We currently do not accept AMEX or Discover.
- PayPal: No minimum purchase. Maximum purchase of $10,000. Payments process instantly.
- Bank wires: Minimum purchase of $2,000. Maximum purchase of $100,000. Payment processes instantly, and a discount of 4% applies to purchase price.
- Paper checks: No minimum purchase price. Maximum purchase price of $40,000. Payment clears in 4-6 business days on average, and a discount of 4% applies to purchase price.
One your payment has cleared, Silver.com associates fulfill your order as it comes through the order queue. All products are shipped in discreet packaging to protect the identity of your shipment. We offer a tiered pricing schedule that is dependent upon your total purchase price. All purchases exceeding $3,000 include free shipping and insurance. All purchases ship via the US Postal Service or UPS.
In the event your products are damaged or lost during shipping, we’ll work with your carrier to either recover your products or file an insurance claim on your behalf to provide for a replacement product or full refund of your purchase price.
If you have questions about 2012 ATB Silver Coins, please reach out to a Silver.com associate at 888-989-7223. You can also connect with us conveniently online through our live web chat and email services.