In 1997, the United States Mint introduced the Proof Platinum American Eagles and bullion Platinum American Eagles. These coins represent the official platinum bullion series of the nation and the proof range became the first major bullion coin in the US to feature fresh designs on one side each year. Now, 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles are available to you for purchase online in near-perfect condition at Silver.com.
- Coin ships to you inside of a protective plastic slab courtesy of the PCGS!
- Issued from 1997 to 2008!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounce of .9995 fine platinum.
- Issued a face value of $50 (USD) by the United States.
- Bears a Grade of PR69 from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- DCAM specimen.
- The obverse features the Statue of Liberty.
- On the reverse field of the coin are varying designs of the American bald eagle or Americana symbols.
- Features “W” mint marks from the West Point Mint.
- Please keep in mind that you could receive several coins with the same date marks and designs if you purchase multiples.
The United States Mint has used various design series throughout the issue of the Proof Platinum Eagles. When the fractional-ounce coins were available between 1997 and 2008, the US Mint had two specific design programs it offered alongside non-descript design collections. For example, the 1997 coin was not part of a series and featured the Thomas D. Rogers design of the American bald eagle flying over the nation.
From 1998 to 2002, however, the US Mint featured a design series known as the Vistas of Liberty. This series depicted the American bald eagle soaring over various regions of the country with very detailed designs. From 2003 to 2005, there was no specific design series in play with examples of designs including the American bald eagle and Lady Justice. The final series featured on the proof fractional-ounce coins was the 2006-2008 Foundations of Democracy Series depicting symbols of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government.
The obverse of all 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles includes the image of the Statue of Liberty created in 1997 for this series by John Mercanti. On the reverse of 1/2 oz Proof Platinum Eagles, you will find some of the many design elements covered in the paragraphs above.
These 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles are available to you in near-perfect condition. PR69 coins have full, original mint luster with a maximum of two minor detracting flaws. Examples of acceptable flaws include only minuscule contact marks or hairlines. DCAM stands for deep-cameo and indicates the coins have strong, frosted designs with deeply-mirrored, clear background fields.
Coins in this listing are chosen for you at random once your payment has been processed. We cannot guarantee specific dates or designs for individual purchases and cannot guarantee a variety of different dates and designs if you buy multiples.
Silver.com customer service is available to you on the phone at 888-989-7223. We are also available online through our live chat and email address features.