The largest of the three fractional-weight coins in the Proof Gold American Eagle Series is the 1/2 oz coin. It was the first of the fractional weights introduced by the US Mint in the series and lays claim to the fourth-highest mintage figure in a given year among the four coins. Today, 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Eagle Coins are available to you online at Silver.com in perfect condition.
- Coins ship to you inside of the PCGS’ protective plastic slab!
- Released in 1987!
- Availability of certified perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounce of actual gold content.
- Issued a face value of $25 (USD) by the United States.
- Bears a Grade of PR70 from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- DCAM designation.
- On the obverse is a depiction of Liberty.
- The reverse of the coins includes the image of American bald eagles.
- Includes “W” or “P” mint marks depending on date of issue.
- Please be aware that buying multiple coins in this listing could result in receiving several coins of the same date mark and mint mark.
Proof Gold Eagles were rolled out by the United States Mint over three separate years. The 1 oz coin debuted alone in 1986 along with the four weights in the bullion version of the coin. These 1/2 oz Proof Gold Eagles debuted next in 1987, with the 1/4 oz and 1/10 coins issued together for the first time in 1988.
While the 1 oz proof coins were issued by the West Point Mint from the start, all 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Eagles and their fractional counterparts were produced by the Philadelphia Mint with “P” mint marks from 1987/88 until 1993. Since 1994, all four weights feature “W” mint marks from the West Point Mint.
Further, there is a difference in the inscription of date marks on all four versions of the Proof Gold Eagles. When the coins debuted in 1986, Gold Eagles had date marks in Roman numerals. This lasted until 1991, with the US Mint switching to Arabic numerals for good in 1992.
On the obverse of 1/2 oz Proof Gold Eagles is the image of Lady Liberty. This powerful image of Liberty depicts her figure walking toward you as the viewer holding an olive branch and torch. The reverse of 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Eagle Coins includes Miley Busiek’s depiction of a family of bald eagles.
The 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Eagles available to you today are in perfect PR70 condition. The PCGS issues this grade to coins with full, original mint luster and a complete lack of detracting flaws. DCAM coins have strong, frosted matte designs and deeply-mirrored, clear background fields.
Silver.com randomly selects your coins purchased through this listing when your payment is processed. We cannot guarantee specific date marks and will not hand select varying date marks if you buy more than one.
We encourage Silver.com customers to call us at 888-989-7223 if they have questions about buying gold. You’ll also find us available online using our live chat and email address.