Platinum American Eagle Coins were introduced by the United States Mint in 1997. The coin series offers bullion and proof options to entice both investors and collectors. The Proof Platinum Eagle Coin is the only bullion series from the United States Mint to use new designs on one side of the coin every year. 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle Coins are now available to you for purchase online at Silver.com with NGC certifications.
- Coins ships to you inside of an NGC protective plastic slab!
- Issued by the US Mint from 1997 to 2008!
- Availability of certified perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounce of .9995 fine platinum.
- Issued a face value of $50 (USD) by the United States.
- Bears a Grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Includes a UCAM label.
- On the obverse is Lady Liberty by John Mercanti.
- The reverse depicts different designs of either the American bald eagle or symbols of the federal government.
- Features “W” mint marks from the West Point Mint.
- Please keep in mind that you may receive several coins with the same designs and date marks if you buy multiples.
Proof Platinum American Eagles are the only platinum coins from the United States Mint. The series debuted in 1997 with 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz coin options. This continued until 2008 when the US Mint faced intense demand for gold and silver bullion American Eagles combined with declining interest in platinum.
As such, the 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles are only available with date marks from 1997 to 2008. This limits the variety of designs to the initial 1997 design from Thomas D. Rogers, the five designs from the Vistas of Liberty collection, the three designs from the Foundations of Democracy collection, and the three random designs chosen by the mint from 2003 to 2005.
On the obverse of 1/2 oz Proof Platinum Eagles is a depiction of the Statue of Liberty. This design of Liberty was created in 1997 by John Mercanti for the Platinum Eagle Series and is featured on the obverse of both the bullion and proof versions of the coin.
The reverse of 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle Coins includes varying different designs. The images in the Vistas of Liberty collection, for example, feature different designs of the American bald eagle as it flies over various regions of the United States.
These 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle Coins earned perfect certifications from the NGC. These coins have full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws of any kind. UCAM labels included in the slab indicate the coins have strong, frosted design elements with deeply-mirrored, clear background fields. Please keep in mind we choose all coins at random. We cannot guarantee specific date marks and designs, and do not hand-select varying designs when you buy multiples.
We encourage Silver.com customers to call us with questions at 888-989-7223. Alternatively, you can chat with us live online or email us directly.