Proof Platinum Eagles have been available from the United States Mint on an annual basis since 1997. The original issues of the coin included 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz platinum coins. Starting in 2009, only the 1 oz coin was available in the proof series. Right now, 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles are available to you for purchase online at Silver.com.
- Ships to you inside of presentation cases with a Certificate of Authenticity from the US Mint!
- Released between 1997 and 2008 in the 1/2 oz weight!
- Mintages available are limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounce of .9995 fine platinum.
- Bears a face value of $50 (USD) backed by the federal government of the United States.
- The obverse side includes a depiction of the Statue of Liberty’s face.
- On the reverse face is the American bald eagle in varying designs.
- Includes a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
- Please remember you could get coins with the same dates and designs when buying more than one.
Each 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle in this product listing is available to you with its original United States Mint presentation box and a Certificate of Authenticity. We select these 1/2 oz Proof Platinum Eagles at random once your payment is processed. We are not able to guarantee the date mark or corresponding design on the coin you receive. All items are chosen from available stock at the time your payment is processed.
The 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles were issued in the 1/2 oz weight from 1997 to 2008 with varying mintage figures through the years. More importantly, the designs on the reverse are new for each release. Please remember we cannot promise a particular design or date mark with your purchase. If you buy more than one, it is possible to get several coins with the same date marks and designs.
The obverse face of the 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagle comes with the same design each year. Created in 1997 by John Mercanti, the image features Liberty gazing off into the distance as she holds her torch up high in the sky with her right hand as the points of her crown reach to the edges of the coin’s design field.
On the reverse side of 1/2 oz Proof Platinum American Eagles is the American bald eagle. However, the design field on this face comes with new elements for each date mark. From 1998 to 2002, the US Mint issued its Vistas of Liberty Series with images of the American bald eagle flying over various regions of the nation. The 2003 to 2005 issues had random depictions that included two unique bald eagle designs and a sculpture of America.
If you have any questions, Silver.com customer service is available to help. You can reach us on the phone at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us directly.