The Gold Liberty Half Eagle Coin was the most prominent design in the US Half Eagle Series. While coins in this denomination of the series were struck from 1795 to 1929 with five total designs used in all, it was the Liberty Head design from Christian Gobrecht that dominated the collection for most of its history. Today, 1853 Gold $5 Liberty Half Eagles are available to you online from Silver.com with PCGS or NGC certifications.
- Available to you inside PCGS or NGC protective slabs!
- Issued in 1853 by the United States Mint!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of .242 Troy oz of actual gold content.
- The face value of $5 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded XF45 or better by the Professional Coin Grading Service or the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- On the obverse is the Liberty Head design.
- The reverse features a depiction of the heraldic eagle.
- Please keep in mind the exact grade and grading house may vary with the potential for matching grades and labels when you buy multiples.
Christian Gobrecht’s Liberty Head design featured for 70 years on the Gold Half Eagle coin from the United States Mint. This accounted for more than half of the 130-year history of the Half Eagle. In fact, three designs preceded it between 1795 and 1838, with only one design used after it starting in late 1908.
All of these 1853 Gold $5 Liberty Half Eagles come to you inside plastic slabs for protection. The coins earned Extremely Fine (XF) 45 grades or better from either the PCGS or the NGC. Coins in this condition have light wear on only the highest points of the design relief and may, in some cases, have traces of the original mint luster remaining. Please keep in mind that the exact grade could vary and that the grading house labels could vary. All items are picked at random after your payment clears and we cannot guarantee these factors in advance.
On the obverse of 1853 Gold Liberty Half Eagles is a portrait of Lady Liberty. This design shows Liberty in left-profile relief wearing the coronet crown with her hair up in a bun at the back of her head. There are 13 stars around her portrait on the design field.
The reverse face of the 1853 Gold $5 Liberty Half Eagles comes with an image of the heraldic eagle of the United States. This design shows the bald eagle in front-facing relief with its talons clutching the arrows of war and the olive branch of peace. This field of the coin lacks the US national motto, a feature only added to the coins starting in 1866.
Please contact Silver.com with any questions when buying gold. You can call us at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us directly.