The smallest coin available in the Proof Gold American Eagle collection just happens to be the most popular coin as well. The 1/10 oz Proof Gold Eagle was the last to appear in the series along with the 1/4 oz coin when introduced in 1988. It didn’t take long for collectors to develop an affinity for this diminutive option. Today, 1989 1/10 oz Proof Gold American Eagle Coins are available to you online at Silver.com with NGC certification.
- Coins ship inside of protective plastic slabs from the NGC!
- Second issue year for the 1/10 oz Proof Gold Eagle!
- Availability of certified coins is limited within the original 84,647-coin mintage!
- Consists of One-Tenth Troy ounce of actual gold content.
- The face value of $5 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded PF70 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- UCAM label included.
- Lady Liberty by Augustus Saint-Gaudens is the on the coin’s obverse face.
- American bald eagles by Miley Busiek are on the coin’s reverse side.
- “P” mint marks on the obverse.
The 1/10 oz Proof Gold Eagle coin, like its bullion counterpart in this weight, is often the most sought-after option in the Gold Eagle Series. The smaller size takes nothing away from the coin’s beautiful design, while that lower weight enables it to be sold for a much lower premium above gold’s spot price than the other three weights.
All 1989 1/10 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coins in this listing are perfect specimens according to the NGC. Coins with a PF70 grade have full, original mint luster and not detracting flaws present. UCAM coins are proof specimens with deeply-mirrored, clear background fields and design elements with strong, frosted matte finishes.
In every issue year from 1988 when the 1/10 oz coin debuted until 2007, the 1/10 oz Proof Gold Eagle had a higher mintage figure than any of the three other options in the collection. Higher gold prices and market instability in the years of the Great Recession and recovery pushed the 1 oz gold coin higher in demand again.
On the obverse of the 1989 1/10 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coin is the image of Liberty. This was designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens and formerly used on the largest denomination gold coin in circulation in the US, the $20 Gold Double Eagle (1907-1933).
The reverse side of the 1989 Proof Gold American Eagle features a unique design found only in this collection. Miley Busiek’s depiction of a family of American bald eagles near their nest debuted in 1986 on the Gold Eagles and has not been used on any other US Mint coin.
Please feel free to reach out to Silver.com with your questions. Our customer service team is available on the phone at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and via our email address.