After dipping in production during its third year of availability, the Proof Silver American Eagle coin showed signs of life in 1989. The coin had experienced a record sales year right off the bat in 1986, but steadily shrunk the following two years. The 1989-S Proof Silver American Eagle coin ended that shrinking run, and perfect versions of this coin are now available for purchase on Silver.com.
- Only 2,248 coins are available in this grade from the PCGS!
- Fourth annual striking of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab courtesy of the PCGS.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of $1 (USD) by the United States government.
- Bears a grade of PR70 from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- DCAM finish.
- Walking Liberty on the obverse face.
- Heraldic eagle of the United States on the reverse.
- Includes an “S” mint mark from the San Francisco Mint.
The 1989-S Proof Silver American Eagle coins in this Silver.com product listing earned perfect certifications from the PCGS. Coins with a PR70 grade have full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws of any type on the surface.
DCAM is a term reserved for proof coins with unique finishes. On this coin you’ll notice a strong, frosted finish to the design set, which is contrasted by the deeply-mirrored, clear background field.
After dipping significantly between 1987 and 1988, the Proof Silver American Eagle surged forward in 1989. The coin’s production rose from 557,000 proof specimens in 1988 to 617,000 in 1989, gaining a total of just over 60,000 coins.
On the obverse is the iconic Walking Liberty design. Created by Adolph A. Weinman in 1916, it depicts a full-length figure of Lady Liberty as she strides toward the setting sun. Weinman’s design is indicative of the country’s desire to seek out a brighter future.
Former-US Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti modernized a classic image from the mint for use on the reverse of the coin. The heraldic eagle of the United States first appeared on national currency in 1793, and was refined for its debut on the Silver American Eagle coin in 1986.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com associates are available at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and via our email address. Make sure you look over our full collection of PCGS Certified Proof Silver Eagles for other grades and years from the series.