The continuing strong interest in coin collecting was demonstrated by the sales of the 1989 US Mint Proof Set. Sales of the 1989 Set reached 3,009,107 sets. This made 1989 the eighth year in the 1980’s where Proof Set sales exceeded 3 million sets. It was still a 5 coin set, with a face value of $0.91 and an original issue price of $11.00. Nearly all coins in the set can be found with deep cameo finishes and are frequently found in high grades. This set was made by the US Mint in San Francisco. Right now, these 1989 US Mint Proof Sets are available for purchase online from Silver.com.
- Shipped in sealed plastic holder with purple outer box!
- Includes five 1989 coins from the US Mint!
- Proof visuals.
- Total of 3,009,107 proof sets issued in 1989.
- Each coin displays its respective face value in US dollars.
- Each denomination has its own obverse and reverse design.
- Please note – some sets may be missing the outer envelope/sleeve/box.
The Proof Sets have undergone numerous changes through the years. Some of these changes include the number of coins in the set, the packaging of the set, modifications to both the obverse and reverse designs, and whose likeness appears on the coin.
Additionally, fluctuating prices and limited availability of the precious metals used in the minting of the coins, have caused their compositions to change as well. The composition of the coins in this Proof Set are:
- The cent is copper-plated zinc, 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper.
- The nickel is 25% nickel and 75% copper.
- The dime, quarter, and half dollar are all copper-nickel clad, 8.33% nickel and 91.67% copper.
Each 1989 Proof Set includes one each of the Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, Roosevelt Dime, Washington Quarter, and Kennedy Half Dollar.
The 1989 Proof Sets utilize the packaging design that was created in 1983. Each coin has its own designated slot within a textured purple cardboard holder. This purple holder is sealed in a plastic holder, which is then placed into a purple outer box, with a flap at the top to open and close the box.
Please reach out to our Silver.com Customer Service team with any questions. We can be reached via phone at 888-989-7223, via online live chat, or via our email.