The 1996 Silver American Eagle release was met with varying fortunes between the bullion coin series and the proof version of the coin. While the bullion coins hit an all-time low, the proof coins showed signs of growth that would be short-lived. The 1996-P Proof Silver American is available now as a perfect specimen on Silver.com.
- Only 826 coins earned this certification and designation in 1996!
- 11th consecutive Proof Silver American Eagle release!
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab courtesy of the NGC.
- Consist of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of $1 (USD) by the United States government.
- Bears a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Available in Ultra-cameo.
- Features the Philadelphia Mint’s “P” mint mark.
- Walking Liberty graces the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle of the US on the reverse.
After experiencing growth in the overall production of Silver American Eagles during the 1995 celebration of the coin’s 10th anniversary, the United States Mint saw the popular bullion coins in the series hit an all-time low mintage. A total of just 3.603 million coins for the year.
The 1996-P Proof Silver American Eagle experienced its first sellout since the US Mint introduced maximum mintage levels in 1990. The US Mint officially recorded 500,000 proof Silver Eagles struck and sold for the year, representing a bump over the mintage in 1995.
Each of the 1996-P Proof Silver American Eagle coins in this Silver.com listing features a perfect grade from the NGC. PF70 coins exhibit full, original luster from the mint and bear no detracting flaws on the surface areas.
Ultra-cameo is a term used for proof coins with a strong, frosted design set and a deeply-mirrored, clear background field. This combination of characteristics gives the design the appearance of floating above the coin’s surface.
On the obverse you’ll find Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty design, with the heraldic eagle of the United States featured on the reverse. Former-Chief Engraver of the United States Mint, John Mercanti, refined this design for Silver Eagles.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com associates are available on the phone at 888-989-7223. You can connect with us online using our live chat or via our email address.