At this point in program history, 2002 would prove to be the second most successful year in Silver American Eagle program history. Both versions of the coin, bullion and proof, were experience immense demand, and the US Mint would see sales figures for the popular coins it hadn’t seen since 1987. Today, the 2002-W Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available as a perfect specimen on Silver.com.
- Only 2,666 coins have this condition and certification level!
- 17th annual striking of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s perfect condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Earned a PR70 grade from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Available with a DCAM finish.
- Bears the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
- Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle on the reverse.
The Silver American Eagle coins series soared into the 21st century with massive popularity. Fears over Y2K and a shaky American economy pushed both investors and collectors to snatch up Silver American Eagle coins at record numbers.
While the 2002 Proof Silver American Eagle saw its mintage fall from 746,000 in 2001 to 647,342, the bullion series hit highs it hadn’t seen since introduction in the 1980s. With a mintage of 10.5 million bullion coins, the 2002 coins ranked (at the time) as the second highest mintage following the 11.4 million coins struck in 1987.
Total mintage in 2002 jumped from 9.7 million the year before to 11.1 million. The United States Mint did not sellout the full authorized mintage of Proof Silver American Eagles in 2002, the first time this happened in several years. According to a historical silver price chart, the price of silver was relatively steady throughout the year, averaging $4.60 per ounce but ranging from $4.40 to $5.10 throughout the year.
On the obverse, the Walking Liberty design from Adolph A. Weinman remains a fixture on the popular coins. Former-US Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle design continues as a mainstay on the reverse side of the coins.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. A Silver.com associate is available at 888-989-7223. You can also connect with us online using our live web chat or email address.