2005 was one of the final years in the production of Silver American Eagle coins that could be considered calm. After a revival in fortunes at the start of the 21st century, the program settled into a reliable production level around 9.5 million annually from 2003 to 2005. This would be the last year the coins would see this stability, as newfound demand for the coins would result in skyrocketing mintage levels. Today, the 2005-W Proof Silver American Eagle is available on Silver.com.
- A total of 12,406 coins earned this NGC rating in 2005!
- 20th annual striking of Proof Silver American Eagle coins!
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed the US government.
- Earned a grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- UCAM finish.
- “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
- Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle on the reverse.
The 2005-W Proof Silver American Eagle coins available to you through this Silver.com listing are perfect specimens from the NGC. Coins with a PF70 grade exhibit full, original luster from the mint and lack any detracting flaws.
UCAM, or Ultra-cameo, is a term that defines a proof coin with contrasting finishes on the design set and background field. Coins with a UCAM finish have a strong, frosted finish on the design set and a deeply-mirrored, clear background. This gives the Walking Liberty and heraldic eagle designs the appearance of floating above the coin’s surface.
The 2005 Proof Silver American Eagle had an unlimited mintage level, which was uncommon during this period as the US Mint had established maximum mintages in the early 1990s and steadily increased them. The longer sales window for proofs during the year helped the coin reach 816,663 for 2005, the highest level since the first two years of production.
Over the course of the year, silver averaged a much higher per-ounce price than $7.32. Prices were volatile throughout the year though, opening at $6.39 per ounce (below 2004’s average), peaking around $9.22 per ounce and closing the year at $8.83 per ounce.
If you have any questions about these perfect Proof Silver American Eagles, please contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223. You can also connect with us online using our live web chat and email features.