When it comes to the release of new collector’s coins, there’s never a mintage year more popular than the very first. The 2006 Burnished Silver American Eagle coin was the very first uncirculated version of the Silver American Eagle ever released, and to this day it remains the favored piece of any collector looking for burnished Silver Eagles. The 2006-W 1 oz Burnished Silver American Eagle is available now on Silver.com in perfect condition.
- Only 10,868 coins earned this certification!
- First-ever release of the Burnished Silver American Eagle!
- Ships to you in a protective plastic capsule courtesy of the NGC.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of $1 (USD) by the United States government.
- Bears a grade of Mint State 70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- Heraldice eagle of the US on the reverse.
- “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
The United States Mint sought a memorable means of celebrating the 20th anniversary of the American Ealge coin program in 2006, and found it in the form of the burnished Silver American Eagle.
Burnished coins are meticulously produced by the United States Mint, starting with traditional proof silver blanks. These blanks are first loaded into rotating drums and polished with small, chemically treated balls to give them a unique finish. Each blank is removed by hand by US Mint employees with white gloves.
Those blanks are then loaded one by one, again by employees with gloved hands, into the coining presses at the United States Mint’s West Point Mint. These coins are then struck multiple times under intense pressure to create a special finish that boasts enhanced visual beauty.
Each Burnished Silver American Eagle coin in this listing has a grade of Mint State 70 from the United States Mint, indicating a coin with its full, original lust and a complete lack of detracting flaws.
On the obverse is the familiar, iconic Walking Liberty design from Adolph A. Weinman. The reverse features John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle designed, which has been modernized and refined for use on the Silver Eagle.
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com associates are available at 888-989-7223, online using our live web chat, and via our email address.