Only one release of the Proof Gold Buffalos from the United States Mint included fractional-ounce coins. Two years after introducing the Gold Buffalo in 2006, the US Mint introduced three fractional-ounce weights in the Proof version of the coin and also released a one-time Burnished coin. Right now, 2008-W 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Buffalos in perfect condition are available to purchase online at Silver.com.
- Ships to you in a PCGS or NGC protective plastic slab!
- One and only issue of 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Buffalos!
- Initial mintage of 12,169 coins only!
- Availability of certified perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of One-half Troy ounce of .9999 fine gold.
- Bears a face value of $25 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a Grade of PF70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service or Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- The obverse side includes a stoic indigenous figure.
- On the reverse face is an American bison.
- Comes with a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
- Please note you could get matching labels if you buy several coins.
Each of the 2008-W 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Buffalos in this product listing comes with a perfect certification. Coins in PF70 condition exhibit full, original mint luster and come with no detracting flaws of any kind present on the design elements or background fields. These coins may come with additional labels such as UCAM or DCAM, but that is not a guarantee.
Silver.com selects these 2008 Proof Gold Buffalos at random after your payment has been processed. Your coins are picked from our available stock at this point in time and we only guarantee you receive a 1/2 oz Gold Buffalo with a perfect certification. If you buy several coins, please note you could get coins with matching labels.
The obverse of 2008-W 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Buffalos is the portrait of an indigenous figure. This design was created in 1913 by James Earle Fraser with a right-profile bust of a native tribal leader that was developed by combining the facial characteristics of three real-life tribal figures.
On the reverse side of the 2008-W 1/2 oz Proof Gold Buffalo coin is a depiction of the American bison. The bison is shown in this design in left-profile relief standing on a mound of dirt. Fraser created this design as well back in 1913 and used Black Diamond, a resident of the Central Park Zoo, as inspiration for the design.
The images on the Gold American Buffalo coin were created by James Earle Fraser for the US Mint in 1913 to replace the Liberty Head nickel. The images went on to feature on the nickel, known as the Buffalo Nickel, from 1913 to 1938.
If you have any questions about buying gold, Silver.com is available to assist you. Our team members are available on the phone at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and by sending us an email.