Just a few short years after its 20th anniversary, the United States Mint again celebrated a landmark date for its Silver American Eagle coin program in 2011. On the 25th anniversary of the coin’s introduction, the mint unveiled two burnished versions of the coin and two proofs, in addition to making some significant changes in production. The 2011-W Proof Silver American Eagle is now available from Silver.com in perfect condition.
- A total of 8,532 coin earned this certification in 2011!
- 25th anniversary of the Proof Silver American Eagle!
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Earned a grade of PR70 from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Features the Walking Liberty image on the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle of the United States on the reverse.
- Bears a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
In response to record demand again for the bullion version of the coin, the US Mint increased the number of silver blank suppliers it worked with in 2011. On top of improving the coining presses and production lines at the West Point Mint, bullion coins were also struck at the San Francisco Mint for the first time since 1998.
The result was a record-breaking sum of 40.02 million bullion coins produced. That wasn’t all that was big though in 2011. The US Mint struck two versions of the burnished coin, which returned after a two-year hiatus. The standard W-burnished coin was made available for individual purchase, while an additional S-burnished coin was available in a collector’s set.
2011-W Proof Silver American Eagle production jumped by 100,000 to a total of 947,355, the third highest mark in program history. An additional reverse proof was struck at the Philadelphia Mint. Both the reverse proof and S-burnished coin were available only in the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set, along with the standard bullion, W-Proof, and W-burnished coins.
The coins available in this Silver.com listing have perfect grades and DCAM finishes. PR70 coins have full, original mint luster and lack any detracting flaws. Deep-cameo coins have strong, frosted matte finishes on the design set and deeply-mirrored, clear background fields.
Please direct any questions about these or other items, such as the PCGS Graded Silver Eagles, to a Silver.com associate at 888-989-7223. We’re also available online using our live chat and email features.