Introduced in 2006, the Gold American Buffalo is one of two gold coins for sale from the United States Mint on an annual basis. The Gold Buffalo arrived 20 years after the debut of the Gold Eagle, but became the first-ever 24-karat gold coin from the mint when it was introduced. With the historic imagery of the Buffalo Nickel on its obverse and reverse fields, the Gold Buffalo marked the 100th anniversary of its source of inspiration in 2013 with a special reverse-proof strike. Today, 2013-W 1 oz Reverse Proof Gold American Buffalos are available to you online at Silver.com in near-perfect condition.
- Available to ship to you inside of a protective plastic slab from the NGC!
- 100th-anniversary celebratory issue with reverse proof visuals!
- Initial mintage limited to 47,836 coins only!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .9999 fine gold.
- The face value of $50 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded PF69 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- The obverse depicts a stoic indigenous figure.
- On the reverse is an American bison.
- Comes with a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
- Please keep in mind varied labels are possible and could match on all coins if you buy multiples.
The Buffalo Nickel coin’s designs served as the inspiration for the release of the Gold American Buffalo bullion coins. The original images were created in 1913 by James Earle Fraser and approved by the administration of President William Howard Taft for use on the US five-cent piece. The design was originally known as the Indian Head nickel but was more commonly referred to colloquially as the Buffalo Nickel. It remained in production at the US Mint until 1938.
All of the 2013-W 1 oz Reverse Proof Gold American Buffalos in this product listing comes with near-perfect PF69 certifications. A coin with a PF69 grade has full, original mint luster with no more than two minor detracting flaws present. Examples of acceptable flaws include only minuscule contact marks or hairlines. These flaws must be located outside of the primary focal points of the coin. Please keep in mind that varied labels are possible, though not guaranteed, with your purchase. If you buy multiples, your coins could have all matching labels. These reverse proof coins have mirrored elements and frosted background fields.
The obverse of 2013 Reverse Proof Gold American Buffalos features the right-profile bust of an indigenous figure. His bust is accompanied by inscriptions of the “W” mintmark, the word “Liberty,” and a date mark.
On the reverse side of 2013-W 1 oz Reverse Proof Gold American Buffalos is a left-profile image of an American bison. Black Diamond, a resident of the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century, was the model for Fraser’s design.
Please contact Silver.com if you have any questions about these gold coins. You can call us on the phone at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us directly.