Without question, the most fearsome tribal nation in North America throughout much of the modern history of the continent were the Iroquois. A powerful and important tribe in the northeastern region of the continent, the Iroquois League (as it was originally known) comprised of various smaller tribes that formed a powerful coalition. The 2015 1 oz Silver Proof Pennsylvania Iroquois Skunk coin is now available to purchase on Silver.com.
- Fifth coin released in the Native Dollar Series from the Native American Mint!
- Commemorates the Iroquois tribes and the state of Pennsylvania.
- Ships to you in a protective plastic capsule.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of One Dollar by the Native American Mint.
- Coin is NOT legal tender in the United States.
- Features the image of an Iroquois warrior on the obverse.
- The image of a skunk is depicted on the reverse.
- Each coin has a satin proof finish.
Known originally as the Iroquois League, and later as the Six Nations, the Iroquois people actually consist of various smaller tribes that were absorbed into the nation via warfare, the adoption of Iroquois culture, or as shelter for displaced groups. The primary tribes of the Iroquois include the Mohawk, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, Seneca, and Tuscarora peoples.
In total, Iroquois peoples number roughly 125,000 in the modern era. Of these, some 80,000 live in the United States, while an additional 45,000 reside in Canada. The Iroquois League has one of the richest histories of group formation in Native American society, dating back to between the 12th and 15th centuries.
On the obverse of each coin is the image of an Iroquois warrior wearing the standard headdress and face paint of a tribal fighter. Engravings include the word “Iroquois” at the top and the coin’s purity, metal content, face value, year of issue, and weight along the bottom.
The reverse features the image of a Porcupine, and the common engravings in the series that identify the representative state and animal. Each 2015 1 oz. Silver Proof Pennsylvania Iroquois Skunk coin has a satin finish, which results in a mirror-like proof.
If you have any questions about this or any other Native American Mint coin, please don’t hesitate to ask. You can reach Silver.com associates at 888-989-7223, chat with us online, or email us.