For nearly 50 years, the South African Krugerrand Series has stood the test of time as one of the most in-demand bullion coins in the world. Introduced in 1967, the gold coins in this series were the dominant coins in the market with nearly 90% market share. In 2017, the South African Mint celebrated the 50th anniversary of the series with the first-ever silver coin for sale. Today, 2017 1 oz Silver South African Krugerrands are available to you online at Silver.com in near-perfect condition.
- Available to ship to you in protective plastic slabs from the NGC!
- First-ever release of Silver South African Krugerrands!
- Original mintage limited to 1 million coins only!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- The face value of 1 Rand (R1) is fully backed by the South African government.
- Graded SP69 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- First Day of Issue designations.
- On the obverse is a portrait of Paul Kruger.
- The reverse depicts a Springbok antelope.
- 50th-anniversary marks on the reverse.
When the Gold South African Krugerrand hit its high-water mark in 1980, it was just about the only gold bullion coin available to investors. The year prior, the Gold Canadian Maple Leaf was introduced for the first time. In 1980, 1 oz Gold Krugerrands represented 90% of the gold bullion coin market. In 2017, the South African Mint celebrated the 50th anniversary of the series with the first-ever release of silver bullion coins.
All of these 2017 1 oz Silver South African Krugerrands are available to you in SP69 condition with plastic slabs. Known as Specimen Proof 69 coins, these specimens have full, original mint luster and a maximum of two minor detracting flaws. The only acceptable flaws at this grade level are minuscule contact marks or hairlines located outside of the primary focal points of the coin. First Day of Issue designations are for coins received by the NGC within 24 hours of release from the mint.
On the obverse of 2017 Silver South African Krugerrands is a depiction of Paul Kruger. The first President of the South African Republic, Kruger is part of the inspiration for the Krugerrand Series as his last name forms half of the name of the Krugerrand bullion coin. The other half of the name comes from the national currency of the modern Republic of South Africa, the Rand.
The reverse side of 2017 1 oz Silver Krugerrands features an image of a pronking Springbok antelope. The antelope is shown here pronking, a movement that consists of several small leaps in a row that allows the animal to reach a height of nearly six feet off the ground.
Please contact Silver.com if you have any questions. You can call us at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or simply send us an email.