Proof Gold American Eagle coins are the popular collector’s version of the nation’s official gold bullion product. First introduced in 1986, the coins is approaching its 30th anniversary with three exciting versions and a variety of weights available. Today, 2017-W ½ oz Proof Gold American Eagle coins are available to you online today at Silver.com with NGC certification!
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab from the NGC.
- 31st annual release of the ½ oz Proof Gold Eagles!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounce of actual gold content.
- Face value of $25 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded PF70 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Designated an ultra-cameo coin!
- Part of the Early Release batch.
- Liberty by Augustus Saint-Gaudens on the obverse.
- Bald eagle depiction from Miley Busiek on the reverse.
- Features a “W” mint mark by the West Point Mint.
Proof Gold American Eagle coins bear the image of Lady Liberty as the primary visual design on the obverse face. This image is considered by many to be the finest in the history of American coinage, and is credited with changing the image of American gold coins at home and abroad in the early 20th century.
Irish-American artist and sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens was hand-picked by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1905 to revitalize the design of American gold coins. He first created the Lady Liberty image in 1907, but would die just months before it appeared in circulation on the $20 Gold Double Eagle (1907-1933).
The 2017-W ½ oz Proof Gold American Eagle coins in this listing are in perfect condition according to the NGC. A PF70 coin has its full, original mint luster and features no detracting flaws of any kind. The ultra-cameo designation is for coins with a deeply-mirrored, clear background field and a strong, frosted matte finish to the design sets.
When the ½ oz Proof Gold American Eagle was introduced, it was initially equal in demand and popularity with the 1 oz coin. Throughout the past three decades, its demand compared to the other three weights has ebbed and flowed. While it occasionally surpasses the 1 oz and ¼ oz coin in mintage, it has never seen higher demand than the 1/10 oz option.
On the obverse of all Gold Eagles is Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ depiction of Lady Liberty, first created in 1907 for the $20 Gold Double Eagle. The reverse bears the image of a family of bald eagles, and was created specifically for the Gold Eagle by Miley Busiek.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Silver.com with any questions. You can call our customer service team at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or send us an email.