In 2017, the United States Mint celebrates its 225th anniversary. What started from one location in the original Philadelphia Mint has expanded and contracted over the past two-and-a-quarter centuries into one of the finest sovereign minting operations in the world today. Today, the 2017-W 1 oz High Relief Gold American 225th Anniversary Liberty Coin is available to you online at Silver.com with a perfect certification.
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab from the PCGS.
- First release in the Gold American Liberty series!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Celebrates US Mint’s 225th Anniversary!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .9999 fine gold.
- Face value of $100 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded PR70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Designated a First Strike coin.
- Obverse includes the image of Liberty as never seen before.
- Reverse depicts the American bald eagle in a new relief.
- Proof finish with high-relief striking and edge lettering!
- “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
The 2017 American Liberty Gold Coin is the first in a series of .9999 pure 24-karat gold coins that will be released by the United States Mint in the years to come. Each one will feature a new depiction of Liberty.
This depiction of Liberty as an African-American woman is the first, with those to follow later depicting contemporary forms of Liberty as an Asian-American, Hispanic-American, and Indian-American.
Each 2017 1 oz High Relief Gold American 225th Anniversary Liberty Coin listed here is in perfect proof condition according to the PCGS. Coins with a PR70 grade show full, original mint luster and lack all detracting flaws.
On the obverse is the left-profile portrait of Liberty with African-American features. Instead of the traditional use of a wreath of laurels for her crown, this Liberty wears the crown of stars found on the Statue of Freedom atop the dome of the U.S. Capitol building in Washington DC. This design was created by Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designer Justin Kunz and sculpted by Mint Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill.
The reverse of the coin is the powerful image of an American bald eagle flight. You’ll note every facet of the bird’s feathers visible and it sharp eyes keenly watching the horizon as it flies through the coin’s design field. The reverse field has its own set of creators, with Mint Artistic Infusion Program designer Chris T. Costello creating the image and Mint Sculptor-Engraver Michael Gaudioso bringing it to life.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Silver.com with questions. Our customer service team is available at 888-989-7223, on the web using our live chat, and via our email address. To find the price of gold today, head over to our homepage!