In 2018, the South African Mint and Rand Refinery debuted the first-ever silver bullion version of the South African Silver Krugerrand. Though a Silver Krugerrand was issued in 2017, this commemorative release was a one-time issue to mark the 50th anniversary of the Gold Krugerrand. Right now, 2018 1 oz Silver South African Krugerrand Coins are available to purchase online at Silver.com in perfect condition.
- Coins ship to you inside of protective slabs from the PCGS!
- First-annual release of the new silver bullion South African Krugerrand coin!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of 1 Rand (R1) backed by the government of South Africa.
- Issued a Grade of Mint State 70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- A portrait of Paul Kruger, 5th President of the South African Republic, is on the coin’s obverse.
- The national symbol of the Springbok antelope is featured on the coin’s reverse.
Each of the 2018 1 oz Silver South African Krugerrand Coins available to you at Silver.com today has a perfect certification courtesy of the PCGS. Coins with a Mint State 70 certification exhibit full, original mint luster and lack any and all possible detracting flaws on the design elements or surface areas.
The included First Week Struck label is a unique notation from the PCGS. The label included within the packaging of the coin denotes that each one was struck sometime during the first week of production for the Silver South African Krugerrand at the South African Mint.
The previously issued Silver Krugerrands in 2017 were commemorative in nature with a mintage of one million coins in a Premium Uncirculated version. The release of these new 2018 1 oz Silver South African Krugerrand Coins marks the beginning of regular bullion production of the Silver Krugerrand, with mintage set to meet demand rather than having a static cap on the overall figure.
On the obverse of all Silver South African Krugerrand Coins is the portrait of Paul Kruger. Born Stephanus Johannes Paulus Kruger, he went by the name Paul Kruger and was a long-time political figure in South Africa as a Boer individual of Dutch heritage. Kruger served as the fifth and final elected leader of the South African Republic from 1883 to 1900.
The reverse face of all 2018 1 oz Silver South African Krugerrand Coins includes the design of a Springbok antelope, the official symbol of South Africa. Both designs on the modern Krugerrands were updated in 1984. The obverse was refined by Otto Schultz and the reverse by Coert Steynberg.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com customer service is available at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and via our email address.