The gold for sale from the Chinese Mint’s Gold Panda program represents one of the most diverse options available. This popular gold bullion coin series debuted in 1982 and features a total of five different coins offered each year with weights ranging from 30 Grams to 1 Gram. Currently, the 3 Gram Gold Chinese Panda Coin is available to purchase online at Silver.com with PCGS or NGC certification.
- Coin ships to you inside of the PCGS or NGC protective plastic slab!
- Released annually as 3 Gram specimen since 2016!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of Three Grams, or .0965 Troy ounces, of .999 fine gold.
- Issued a face value of 50 (Yuan) by China.
- Bears a Grade of Mint State 69 from the Professional Coin Grading Service or Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- On the obverse side is the Temple of Heaven’s Hall of Prayer for Abundant Harvests.
- The reverse offers a different glimpse of the Giant Panda species each year.
- Please note that purchases of more than one coin from this listing could result in receiving several different date marks, designs, and/or additional labels.
In 2016, the Chinese Mint made changes to its Gold Panda coin program by ditching the use of Troy ounces as an official unit of measurement for each coin. The switch resulted in minor adjustments to the diameter and nominal gold weight of each coin, with the thickness of each blank remaining the same.
The 3 Gram Gold Chinese Panda coin replaced the 1/10 oz Gold Panda. With the switch, the weight fell from 3.1103 grams to 3 grams and the coin’s diameter increased ever so slightly from 17.95 mm to 18 mm. The face values assigned to the coins did not change, however.
On the obverse of 3 Gram Gold Panda coins is Hall of Prayer for Abundant Harvests. Located within the greater Temple of Heaven, the complex is a Taoist religious site that was constructed in Beijing between 1406 and 1420. The Hall itself was a site for prayers each year as harvest time rolled around, with emperors and citizens alike praying that crop yields would be enough to support the populace.
The reverse of 3 Gram Gold Pandas includes the image of a Giant Panda. The Chinese Mint is famous for the use of new designs of the Giant Panda with each release. Only the 2001 and 2002 coins featured the same design in a move that was met with displeasure by investors.
These 3 Gram Gold Chinese Panda coins have Mint State 69 grades. Coins in this condition have full, original mint luster with a maximum of two minor detracting flaws. Those flaws are limited to minuscule contact marks or hairlines.
This Silver.com listing is a random year offering. We do not guarantee particular date marks, designs, or the presence of additional labels such as First Strike or Early Release. All coins are chosen at random and we do not hand-select for variety if you buy more than one coin.
We encourage Silver.com customers to call us at 888-989-7223 with questions. You can also reach out to us online through our live chat and email address.