The first commemorative coin from the modern era at the United States Mint was released in 1982 to mark the 250th anniversary of George Washington’s birth. This half-dollar coin kicked off a new era of commemorative coining in the United States that grew to include a wide range of gold coins for sale for collectors. Now, $5 Gold US Mint Commemorative Coins are available to you for online purchase at Silver.com with a perfect certification.
- Coin ships to you inside of a protective plastic slab courtesy of the NGC or PCGS!
- Issued beginning in 1986!
- Availability of certified perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of .24187 Troy ounces of actual gold content.
- Issued a face value of $5 (USD) by the United States.
- Bears a Grade of PR70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation or the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Obverse and reverse designs vary by program and commemorative issue.
- Proof specimens.
- Please remember you may receive several matching designs and dates if you purchase more than one coin.
The US Mint historically issued commemorative coins prior to 1982. In 1954, the Eisenhower Administration cited lack of interest in commemorative coins in halting the production of such items at the United States Mint. At that time, commemorative coins had been produced for more than a century in the US.
Dating back to 1848, the US Mint had issued commemorative coins for a variety of events. For example, the first-ever commemorative was struck in 1848 to mark the discovery of gold in California. Other examples include a 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition coin with a $50 face value and an 1892 release marking the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus’ journey to the New World.
Obverse and reverse designs available in this listing vary by the program or release of the $5 Gold US Mint Commemorative Coin. Examples include coin designs honoring historical Americans such as Mark Twain.
These $5 Gold US Mint Commemorative Coins are available in perfect condition with a plastic slab to protect the specimen. 70 coins showcase full, original mint luster with no detracting flaws of any kind present on the design elements or background fields of the coin. All coins in this listing are chosen at random once your payment is processed.
We do not guarantee the date mark, design, or specific grading house for the coin you receive in this listing. If you purchase more than one, please remember you could receive several of the same coin.
Silver.com customer service is available to you at 888-989-7223. You can also connect with us online through our live chat and email address features.