The Proof Platinum Eagles from the United States Mint represent the only version of the American Eagle Series that has new designs on one side or the other each year. From 1997 to 2017, it was the reverse side of the coin that offered new images with each date mark. As of 2018, it is the obverse that features new designs each year. Today, Proof Platinum American Eagle 2-Coin Sets are available to you online at Silver.com.
Coin Set Highlights:
- Available to ship to you in presentation displays from the US Mint!
- Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity!
- Boasts two unique 1/2 oz Proof Platinum Eagles!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .9995 fine platinum in all.
- The individual face values of $50 (USD) are fully backed by the US government.
- On the obverse is a vision of the Statue of Liberty.
- The reverse offers varying images of the bald eagle, Liberty, or other symbols of America.
- Bears “W” mint marks from the West Point Mint.
- Please keep in mind you may receive coins with the same dates and designs if you buy multiples.
Proof Platinum Eagle Sets are relatively rare from the US Mint. From 1997 to 2008 when the US Mint issued four weights in the Proof Platinum Eagle Series, it was common for the mint to provide low-mintage four-coin sets. With the conclusion of the fractional ounces in 2008, however, the US Mint no longer issued those coins. Proof Platinum Eagle 2-Coin Sets were far more unique and much rarer.
All of the Proof Platinum American Eagle 2-Coin Sets available here come with the original wooden presentation display from the United States Mint. The coins housed within are inside of plastic capsules and boast a Certificate of Authenticity from the mint. Please keep in mind that dates and designs can vary or match if you buy multiples. Silver.com fulfills all orders after your payment clears and cannot guarantee dates/designs in advance.
The most prominent Proof Platinum Eagle 2-Coin Set ever released was the 2007 10th-Anniversary Set. On the obverse of these Proof Platinum Eagles, you will find the image of the Statue of Liberty as designed for this series by John Mercanti in 1997. The reverse side of these 1/2 oz Proof Platinum Eagles includes the design honoring the Executive Branch as part of the three-coin Foundations of Democracy design series issued from 2006 to 2008.
In the 2007 10th-Anniversary Proof Platinum Eagle 2-Coin Set, as an example, the US Mint issued two 1/2 ounce platinum coins. The traditional cameo proof was available alongside a reverse proof, the first of its kind in the Proof Platinum Eagle Series.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com customer service can assist you at 888-989-7223, online through our live chat, and using our email address.