Collectible / Gold and Silver State Sales Taxes in Maryland
Maryland Laws and Regulations
The State of Maryland requires the collection of sales taxes on certain products sold by Silver.com and delivered to a Maryland address. These taxes must be collected on (1) copper products; (2) any single sales transaction of gold, silver, platinum, or palladium where the transaction amount is less than $1,000; (3) numismatic coins; (4) coins that are not, or have not been, used as mediums of exchange of the United States or any foreign country; (5) accessory items; and (6) processed items. All other products sold by Silver.com are exempt from these taxes.
The following definitions apply to products on which taxes must be collected in Maryland:
- Single Sales Transaction. Determined per invoice, and not on a line-item basis.
- Numismatic Coins. Coins which have an external value above and beyond the base value of the underlying precious metal, due to the item’s rarity, condition, age, or other external factor.
- Medium of Exchange. Coins or currency that are acceptable as a measure of value and a standard of exchange for goods and services.
- Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes, coin flips, and apparel.
- Processed Items. Precious metals that have been processed by third parties into items that are valued on more than their precious metal content, such as statues or colorized coins.
Sales taxes in Maryland are calculated at checkout on the Silver.com website based on (1) the taxability of products sold by Silver.com in Maryland set forth above, and (2) the specific tax rates established by the taxing jurisdiction of the delivery address in Maryland.
Silver.com began collecting sales taxes in Maryland on October 1, 2018. Our sales tax license number in Maryland is 17338871.
If you are a Maryland-based reseller and wish to file a Reseller Certificate with Silver.com, please download the Maryland Reseller Certificate form here. Once you have filled out this form, either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail it to Silver.com, 5930 Royal Lane, Suite E-151, Dallas, TX 75230. Once we receive your completed Reseller Certificate, we will enter it into our system, and you will not be charged sales taxes on future orders as long as your Reseller Certificate remains valid and in force.
Please note: The above is not a comprehensive description of sales tax laws and requirements in the State of Maryland. It is only intended to provide the reader with a brief overview of those sales tax laws and requirements currently in effect in the State of Maryland that relate to the reader’s transactions with Silver.com. If you would like to research the sales tax laws and requirements in the State of Maryland, we suggest you visit the Maryland Comptroller located at https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Business_Taxes/.