When the United States Mint last celebrated a major milestone for the Gold American Eagle coin program, it unveiled a new version of the coin that has become a regular production offering. The Burnished Gold American Eagle was introduced in 2006 as part of the 20th anniversary celebration, and now the unique collector’s item is available as part of the Mint’s 30th anniversary celebration. Today, the 2016-W 1 oz Burnished Gold American Eagle Coin is available in perfect condition on Silver.com.
- 30th anniversary of the Gold American Eagle, 10th anniversary Burnished coin!
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s perfect condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of 22-karat gold.
- Face value of $50 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Earned a grade of MS70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Obverse features Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ famous Liberty design.
- Miley Busiek’s bald eagle design on the reverse.
- Bears a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
- Designated a First Day of Issue coin. Includes a 30th anniversary label.
The Burnished Gold American Eagle is a unique collector’s item that takes proof production one step further. Each gold blank starts its production cycle spinning in a drum with metallic balls that burnish and polish the blanks.
Each blank is removed one at a time by mint employees wearing gloves to prevent human skin oils from tarnishing the finish. The blanks are hand-loaded individually into the coining presses, struck, and removed by gloved hands.
Introduced in 2006, the Burnished Gold American Eagle celebrates its 10th anniversary as the Gold American Eagle program as a whole celebrates its landmark 30th anniversary. Each 2016-W 1 oz Burnished Gold American Eagle available from Silver.com has a Mint State 70 grade from the NGC. Considered perfect specimens, these coins exhibit full, original mint luster and feature no detracting flaws.
First Day of Issue coins earn this designation because they arrive at the NGC depository within 24 hours of the release date set by the US Mint. The 30th Anniversary Label marks the occasion in history for any collector who purchases these coins.
On the obverse, as always, is Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ Liberty design. It features a full-length figure of Liberty striding forward from the national capital of Washington DC holding her torch aloft for the nation as a guiding light.
The reverse of the 2016-W 1 oz Burnished Gold American Eagle bears the image of a family of nesting bald eagles. Created in 1986 by Miley Busiek, it depicts a male eagle returning to the family nest, where a female is vigilantly guarding a group of hatchlings.
If you have questions, please contact Silver.com at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or send us an email.