The Platinum American Eagle is the only annual platinum bullion coin from the United States Mint. The investment-grade version of the coin debuted in 1997 with four weights, but was suspended from 2009 to 2013 and now features only a 1 oz platinum coin. This makes 1/2 oz Platinum Eagles a unique option as this weight is no longer produced. Today, 1/2 oz Platinum American Eagle Coins are available to you online at Silver.com in perfect condition.
- Available to ship to you inside of a protective plastic slab from the NGC!
- Produced between 1997 and 2008!
- Availability of certified perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounces of .9995 fine platinum.
- The face value of $50 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded Mint State 70 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- The Statue of Liberty is found on the obverse of the coin.
- An American bald eagle soars across the horizon on the reverse of the coin.
- Keep in mind that Silver.com cannot guarantee specific date marks or varying date marks if you buy multiples.
When it was first introduced, Platinum Eagles from the US Mint featured three fractional-weight coins. The largest of these was the 1/2 oz Platinum Eagle, with the other options including 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz coins. Starting in 2009, the fractional weights were no longer offered in either the bullion version or the proof version.
All of the 1/2 oz Platinum American Eagle Coins in this listing come to you with a perfect certification from the NGC. Coins in Mint State 70 condition have full, original mint luster and no detracting flaws present on the surface areas or design elements. Silver.com offers these coins from random years of issue. Available date marks include years from 1997 to 2008.
Silver.com cannot guarantee you receive a particular date mark. All coins are chosen at random once your payment is processed. If you buy more than one of these 1/2 oz Platinum Eagles, we cannot guarantee you receive coins with different date marks.
On the obverse of all 1/2 oz Platinum American Eagles is the image of the Statue of Liberty. Referred to as Liberty gazing into the future, this design from John Mercanti was created in 1997 and focuses on the face of Liberty from the Statue of Liberty.
The reverse of 1/2 oz Platinum Eagles includes a design from Thomas D. Rogers. A former engraver-artist with the United States Mint, Rogers designed an image that depicts the American bald eagle gliding over the continent as the sun crests over the horizon.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions. You can call Silver.com customer service at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us directly.