The Perth Mint kicked off its Lunar Series I collection in 1996 with the Year of the Rat. The rat is the first animal in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese Lunar Calendar. The Perth Mint’s lunar collections are the only bullion collections that follow the exact order of the Zodiac, with each series starting with the Year of the Rat and ending in the Year of the Pig. Today, the 1996 1 oz Gold Australian Lunar Rat Coin is available to you in near-perfect condition online at Silver.com.
- Available to ship to you in a protective plastic slab from the PCGS or NGC!
- First issue of the Lunar Series I collection!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .9999 fine gold in BU condition.
- The face value of $100 (AUD) is fully backed by the Australian government.
- Graded Mint State 69 by the Professional Coin Grading Service or the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- On the obverse is Queen Elizabeth II.
- The reverse features a rat in a small grass patch.
- Please keep in mind you could receive multiples coins from the same grading house if you purchase more than one.
The Lunar Series I collection from the Perth Mint primarily focused on 1 oz silver and 1 oz gold bullion coins. Later collections from the mint would expand to include a variety of bullion and proof weights, but when the series first started the focus was on the most popular weights among investors.
All of the 1996 1 oz Gold Australian Lunar Rat Coins in this product listing come to you with a Mint State 69 certification from the PCGS or NGC. Coins in this condition are known as near-perfect specimens with full, original mint luster and no more than two minor detracting flaws. Acceptable flaws at this level include only minuscule contact marks or hairlines.
This listing has the possibility for random label options. We only guarantee the coins have an MS69 grade. All coins are chosen at random once your payment is processed, so we do not guarantee if that label comes from the PCGS or the NGC. It will come from one or the other. If you purchase multiples, please keep in mind that the same principle applies. You could receive several coins with different grading house labels or a batch all from the PCGS or all from the NGC.
On the obverse of the 1996 1 oz Gold Australian Lunar Rat Coin is the right-profile bust of Queen Elizabeth II. This is the fourth-generation effigy on Australian coins and was designed for the Royal Mint of England in 1984 by Raphael Maklouf. The Queen wears the George IV State Diadem Crown in this portrait and it is considered a very regal depiction of the Queen.
The reverse of 1996 Gold Australian Lunar Rat Coins features the image of a rat in right-profile relief as it stands on a small patch of grass. Both sides of the coin have a beaded border design and the reverse includes the Chinese symbol for the rat.
Please contact Silver.com if you have any questions. You can reach us at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us directly.