The gold coins of the Italian lira were introduced in 1861 with the formation of a unified Kingdom of Italy. The coins slightly preceded Italy joining the Latin Monetary Union and would go on to become one of the most circulated gold coins in Europe. Today, 20 and 10 Lire Gold Italian 2-Coin Sets are available to you online at Silver.com with NGC certification.
Coin Set Highlights:
- Available to ship to you in NGC protective plastic slabs!
- Comes with the two largest dominations initially offered in the Gold Lira!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Italian-themed label within the slab!
- Consists of .1867 Troy ounces of actual gold content in the 20 Lire coin; .0933 Troy ounces of actual gold content.
- The individual face values of 20 and 10 Lire were issued by the Kingdom of Italy.
- Graded Mint State 62 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- On the obverse is a depiction of a monarch for the Kingdom of Italy.
- The reverse side bears the coat of arms of the kingdom.
- Please keep in mind the coins in this set come with random date marks and no matching dates.
As a form of currency, the Italian lira was based on coinage originally issued by the various city-states and smaller kingdoms that inhabited the region that eventually became the Kingdom of Italy. For example, the Kingdom of Sardinia issued coins with the lira denomination. When Victor Emmanuel II unified the kingdoms into a singular Kingdom of Italy, he rose from being King of Sardinia to King of Italy. He brought with him the Italian lira as a form of currency for the kingdom.
All of these 20 and 10 Lire Gold Italian 2-Coin Sets are available to you for purchase with individual protective plastic slabs for each coin. The slabs contain a custom label with a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Both coins are in Mint State 62 condition, indicating the presence of impaired or dull mint luster. Various flaws are possible such as clusters of small contact marks, a few larger marks or nicks, hairlines, and general scuff marks. These flaws may present within the primary focal field and in the secondary fields. Your set comes with random dates for the series and we are not able to guarantee a specific date mark in advance. However, you will not receive matching dates on your coins.
On the obverse of the 20 and 10 Lire Gold Italian Coins in your set are portraits of the reigning monarch of the Kingdom of Italy that match the date of a given coin. King Victor Emmanuel II was the first king of a unified Italy and reigned from 1861 to 1878. King Umberto I succeeded him as the King of Italy and reigned from 1878 to 1900. The final monarch to feature on these coins was King Victor Emmanuel III, who reigned from 1900 to 1946.
The reverse side of coins in the 20 and 10 Lire Gold Italian 2-Coin Set features the coat of arms for the Kingdom of Italy. The design of the national emblem is the same on both coins, though you will notice differences in the inscriptions that are featured on this side of the respective coins.
Please contact Silver.com with questions when buying gold. Our team is available at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and via our email address.