Bearing the images of Lady Liberty and the American bald eagle, the design of the Gold American Eagle coin is befitting a coin that holds the status as the nation’s official gold bullion coin. Introduced in 1986 by the US Mint, the Gold American Eagle celebrates 30 years of production in 2016. Right now you have the chance to purchase a 2016 ½ oz Gold American Eagle coin in perfect condition on Silver.com.
- 30th anniversary striking of the Gold American Eagle.
- Ships to you in a protective plastic slab courtesy of the NGC.
- Consists of one-half troy ounce of 22-karat gold.
- Issued a face value of $25 (USD) by the United States government.
- Earned a perfect grade of Mint State 70 ER from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Obverse design from the original $20 Gold Double Eagle.
- Reverse design by Miley Busiek is exclusive to the Gold American Eagle.
In 1986 the United States Mint unveiled the American Eagle program. The official bullion coins of the nation, the gold variant featured a bullion and proof version that first year. The bullion coin had all four weights, 1 oz, ½ oz, ¼ oz, and 1/10 oz, available immediately. The proof version had just a 1 oz coin in 1986, with the ½ oz added in 1987 and the ¼ and 1/10 oz coins joining in 1988.
Each Gold American Eagle coin in this Silver.com listing is a perfect specimen according to the NGC. A coin with a Mint State 70 grade exhibits its full, original mint luster and features no detracting flaws such as blemishes, contact marks, breaks in the luster, or other issues.
On the obverse is the image of Lady Liberty. Originally created in 1907 by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, its creator never saw it on a US coin. The image appeared on the $20 Gold Double Eagle from 1907 to 1933, but the US Mint did not have coins struck before Saint-Gaudens died from complications due to illness in 1907.
The reverse features the design of a family of nesting bald eagles. Created in 1986 by Miley Busiek, this image is accompanied by engravings of the coin’s weight, metal content, purity, and face value.
Please feel free to contact Silver.com with questions at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or send us an email.