The gold coins of the American Centennial Series included three commemorative coins issued on 24-karat gold blanks. The designs on the coins commemorated the 100th anniversary of the 1916 overhaul of the American dime, quarter, and half dollar. These designs replaced the existing Barber Coinage and went on to become some of the most famous in American history. Today, 2016-W 1/10 oz Proof Gold American Mercury Dimes in perfect condition are available to you online at Silver.com.
- Available to ship to you in PCGS protective plastic slabs!
- Centennial issue of the Mercury Dime image!
- Original mintage limited to 125,000 coins only!
- Availability of certified perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Tenth Troy ounce of .9999 fine gold.
- The face value of $.10 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded SP70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- On the obverse side is a depiction of Liberty.
- The reverse field comes with a Roman fasces and an olive branch.
- Includes a W mint mark from the West Point Mint.
The coin designs revived in the Gold American Centennial Series in 2016 included the Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, and the Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Each of these designs debuted in 1916 in place of the existing Barber Coinage visuals. Adolph A. Weinman was the designer behind both the Mercury Dime and Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Hermon Atkins MacNeil designed the Standing Liberty Quarter.
All of the 2016-W 1/10 oz Proof Gold American Mercury Dimes in this listing come with a PCGS certification. Coins with an SP70 certification are considered perfect specimens with full, original mint luster and come with no detracting flaws of any kind.
On the obverse side of 2016-W Proof Gold American Mercury Dimes is a depiction of Lady Liberty. Created in 1916, this image of Liberty includes a left-profile bust of the female personification with a winged Phrygian cap on her head. The design reminded Americans of the Roman messenger god Mercury, resulting in most Americans referring to the coin as the Mercury Dime instead of the Winged Liberty Dime.
The reverse field of 2016-W 1/10 oz Proof Gold Mercury Dimes comes with an image of the Roman fasces. This symbol of Roman power carried to small villages and towns by Roman magistrates is depicted in this visual with an olive branch around the fasces.
Please feel free to reach out to Silver.com if you have any questions when you buy gold. Our team is available to assist you at 888-989-7223, online using our live chat, and via our email address.