The largest of the fractional-weight gold coins in the Gold American Eagle series is the ½ oz coin. Never among the most popular in the collection, ½ oz Gold Eagles come with low mintage figures and greater affordability for those buying gold than its larger cousin in the 1 oz weight. Right now, 2018 ½ oz Gold American Eagle Coins are yours to purchase online at Silver.com in perfect condition.
- Ships to you inside of a protective plastic slab from the PCGS!
- 32nd issue of Gold American Eagle coins!
- Availability of certified coins is limited!
- Consists of One-Half Troy ounce of actual gold content.
- Bears a face value of $5 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- First Strike designation.
- Issued a Grade of Mint State 70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Lady Liberty gracefully strides along the obverse face
- The American bald eagle majestically soars on the reverse face.
Each of the 2018 ½ oz Gold American Eagle Coins listed here is in perfect condition as judged by the PCGS. Coins with a Mint State 70 grade exhibit full, original mint luster and show no detracting flaws on the surface areas of the coin. As a First Strike coin, these Gold Eagles arrived at the PCGS within the first 30 days of the US Mint’s scheduled 2018 release for the coins.
Gold American Eagle coins are available in the ½ oz weight each year in bullion and proof. The bullion coin debuted in 1986 with all four weights, but the ½ oz proof was the first fractional weight introduced when it was released by the US Mint in 1987. Historically, the ½ oz Gold Eagle has had low mintage figures. The all-time high came in 1986 at 599,566 coins, while the lowest year for mintage was in 1991 when 24,100 coins were struck.
The obverse of all Gold American Eagle coins features the United States’ best design from circulation currency. The image of Liberty on these coins came from Augustus Saint-Gaudens, who created the image in 1907 and used from that same year until 1933 on the $20 Gold Double Eagle coin.
On the reverse of all 2018 ½ oz Gold American Eagle Coins you’ll find the design from Miley Busiek. This imagery of the American bald eagle depicts a male eagle flying over the nest with an olive branch in its talons as a female watches over the hatchlings in the nest below.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Silver.com customers can call us at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us directly.