The release of the Type 2 Silver Eagles by the United States Mint has been hotly anticipated. 2021 saw the US Mint start production of the Silver Eagle with the existing Heraldic Eagle reverse design, followed by a mid-year switch to the Type 2 design element with a new bald eagle image. Certified versions of the coins are available on the heels of the BU release as well. Now, 2021 1 oz Silver American Eagle Type 2 Coins are available to you for purchase online at Silver.com in near-perfect condition.
- Coins ship to you inside protective plastic slabs from the PCGS!
- First issue of the new Type 2 reverse!
- 35th-anniversary year of issue for the Silver American Eagles!
- Availability of certified near-perfect coins is limited!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Issued a face value of $1 (USD) by the United States.
- Bears a Grade of Mint State 69 from the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- First Day of Issue designation.
- The obverse features Walking Liberty.
- On the reverse is the new bald eagle image from Emily Damstra.
- Anti-counterfeiting reeded edge has a variation feature for security.
- Enhanced obverse field includes Weinman’s original “AW” initials as a signature mark.
By summer 2020, the United States Mint had nearly narrowed down its choice for the new reverse design of the Silver Eagle to debut in 2021. However, the continued, intense demand for Silver Eagles throughout 2020 and early 2021 meant the United States Mint needed to start production of 2021 coins in late 2020 using the original design elements.
In order to ramp up production of the new 2021 Type 2 design, the US Mint needed to shut down production and swap out old dies for the new design dies in all of its coining presses. This was not feasible during the period of demand in late 2020 and early 2021, so the decision was made to continue the original designs in early 2021 as the Type 1 coin, then switch out dies and restart production for 2021 coins with the Type 2 design. This is the first time in the history of the series this happened.
The obverse of 2021 1 oz Silver American Eagles features Walking Liberty. The Type 2 release features an enhanced obverse field that is closer in appearance to Weinman’s original 1916 design. Included in the field is are the “AW” initials of Weinman as a signature mark, just as found on the original Walking Liberty Half Dollar.
On the reverse of 2021 Silver American Eagle Type 2 coins is the new bald eagle image. Designed by Emily Damstra, it depicts the bird in flight with an oak branch in its talons. The oak was chosen as a symbol of strength and durability.
These 2021 1 oz Silver American Eagle Type 2 Coins are available to you in Mint State 69 condition. Coins in this condition showcase full, original mint luster and no more than two minor flaws. Examples of acceptable flaws are limited to minuscule contact marks or hairlines outside the primary fields. First Day of Issue coins are those received for certification inside the first 24 hours following release.
Silver.com customer service can assist you with questions at 888-989-7223. Our team is also available online through our live chat and email address features.