Proof Gold American Eagles join the Silver Eagles and other versions of the Gold Eagle in 2021 in releasing a new design element. The reverse field of the Gold Eagles is shifting in mid-2021 away from the original artwork on the reverse from Miley Busiek to feature a new depiction of the bald eagle’s head as created by Jennie Norris. Now, 2021-W 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle Coins Type 2 are available to you for purchase online at Silver.com.
- Coins ship to you inside of a capsule with a black presentation box and a Certificate of Authenticity!
- 35th-anniversary year of release in the 1 oz Proof Gold Eagle Series!
- All-new Type 2 design of the bald eagle on the reverse!
- Mintage limited to 5,625 Type 2 coins only!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of actual gold content.
- Issued a face value of $50 (USD) by the United States.
- The obverse depicts Liberty in front-facing relief.
- On the reverse is a new bald eagle design.
- New reeded edge variation for anti-counterfeiting enhancement.
- Obverse visuals have been enhanced to include visuals from the original 1907 design.
- Bears a “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
To mark the 35th anniversary of the Gold Eagles, the United States Mint has introduced a new reverse image. Gone is Miley Busiek’s depiction of a family of bald eagles that has graced the reverse since 1986. The US Mint began 2021 coining with the original design combinations on the coins and now completes the switch.
This makes the 2021 release of the Gold Eagles the first in its history to not only receive a design refresh, but also the first-ever to feature two different product releases. BU and Proof Gold Eagles struck with 2021 dates through mid-2021 feature the original Type 1 designs. From mid-2021 onward, Type 2 coins are in production with the new reverse available across the BU, Proof, and Burnished collections.
The obverse side of 2021-W 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagles features the 1907 design of Lady Liberty from Augustus Saint-Gaudens. This visual has been enhanced with the Type 2 release to bring back some of the visual touches to the Capitol Building, sun rays, torch, and stars just as Saint-Gaudens had intended in his original 1907 artwork.
On the reverse face of 2021-W Proof Gold Eagle Type 2 Coins is the new bald eagle design from Jennie Norris. A dedicated wildlife enthusiast, Ms. Norris’s design captures the natural splendor and grace of the bald eagle. This left-profile vision of its head goes into great detail on the plumage, eye, and beak of the creature.
These 2021-W 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle Type 2 coins come with a protective capsule and a black presentation box. The presentation box ships with an outer sleeve that has an artistic rendering of Ms. Norris’s new reverse eagle design on its cover. The included Certificate of Authenticity has a depiction of Saint-Gaudens’ Liberty. The 1 oz Proof Gold Eagle Type 2 has a set mintage cap, so don’t miss your opportunity to own the first-ever Type 2 proof!
Silver.com customer service is available at 888-989-7223. We are also available online using our live chat and email address features.