The shortest-lived design in modern history on the US half-dollar coin was that of Founding Father and American diplomat Benjamin Franklin. His right-profile bust appeared on the US half-dollar coin from 1948 to 1963 and actually required Congressional legislation to be removed from the coin. Today, 90% Silver US Franklin Half Dollar Coins are available to you online at Silver.com.
- Available to ship to you inside of small plastic bags!
- Date marks range from 1948 to 1963!
- Consists of .3619 Troy ounces of actual silver content per coin.
- The individual face value of $.50 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Benjamin Franklin’s right-profile bust appears on the obverse.
- The Liberty Bell and American eagle appear on the reverse of the coin.
- Two coins in total in this listing.
- Full face value is $1 (USD).
- Please keep in mind date marks are chosen at random and you could receive the same date marks on each coin.
Only the original US half-dollar coins had designs that were used for shorter periods of time than the Benjamin Franklin Half Dollar. The Flowing Hair design was used in 1794 and 1795, while the Draped Bust was used from 1796 to 1807. The Capped Bust was the first design to surpass two decades in use as it featured on the coin from 1807 to 1839. Congressional legislation would eventually impact how long designs were used though.
All 90% Silver US Franklin Half Dollars in this listing are available to you with random date marks. The coins ship with two in total housed in small plastic bags. We cannot guarantee specific date marks as the 90% silver coins are chosen at random once your order is processed.
Under federal legislation, coin designs must remain in use for 25 years on circulation coins as a means of saving money compared to constant redesigns. This merely marks the earliest point at which the US Mint can consider redesigns. Most coins, particularly in the modern era, retain the same design for decades at a time. To replace a coin design, Congressional approval is required.
On the obverse of 90% Silver US Franklin Half Dollar Coins is a depiction of Benjamin Franklin in right-profile relief. The reverse of the coins includes the Liberty Bell in the center of the design field and an American bald eagle to the right side of the design field.
The Benjamin Franklin Half Dollar design was shelved with Congressional approval after just 15 years to place President John F. Kennedy on the coin following his assassination in November 1963.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Silver.com with your questions. Our customer service team is available to you at 888-989-7223, online through our live chat, and via our email address.