Collectible / Gold and Silver State Sales Taxes in Utah
Utah Laws and Regulations
The State of Utah requires the collection of sales taxes on certain products sold by Silver.com and delivered to a Utah address. These taxes must be collected on (1) copper or palladium products; (2) bullion products made of gold, silver, or platinum if the gold, silver, or platinum content of such product is less than 50%; (3) numismatic coins unless such numismatic coins are also used as legal tender; (4) accessory items; and (5) processed items. All other products sold by Silver.com are exempt from these taxes.
The following definitions apply to products on which taxes must be collected in Utah:
- Legal Tender. Coins that must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt.
- Bullion. Precious metal that is valued solely upon its precious metal content, whether in coin or bar form.
- Numismatic Coins. Coins which have an external value above and beyond the base value of the underlying precious metal, due to the item’s rarity, condition, age, or other external factor.
- Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes, coin flips, and apparel.
- Processed Items. Precious metals that have been processed by third parties into items that are valued on more than their precious metal content, such as statues or colorized coins.
Sales taxes in Utah are calculated at checkout on the Silver.com website based on (1) the taxability of products sold by Silver.com in Utah set forth above, and (2) the specific tax rates established by the taxing jurisdiction of the delivery address in Utah.
Silver.com began collecting sales taxes in Utah on January 1, 2019. Our sales tax license number in Utah is 14741445-003-STC.
If you are a Utah-based reseller and wish to file a Reseller Certificate with Silver.com, please download the Utah Reseller Certificate form here. Once you have filled out this form, either email it to email@example.com; or mail it to Silver.com, 5930 Royal Lane, Suite E-151, Dallas, TX 75230. Once we receive your completed Reseller Certificate, we will enter it into our system, and you will not be charged sales taxes on future orders as long as your Reseller Certificate remains valid and in force.
Please note: The above is not a comprehensive description of sales tax laws and requirements in the State of Utah. It is only intended to provide the reader with a brief overview of those sales tax laws and requirements currently in effect in the State of Utah that relate to the reader’s transactions with Silver.com. If you would like to research the sales tax laws and requirements in the State of Utah, we suggest you visit the Utah State Tax Commission located at https://tax.utah.gov/.