Buying gold from the United States Mint means selecting from some of the most beautiful coin designs available today. The Gold American Eagle Series features one of the nation’s most iconic circulation coin designs on its obverse, with a unique reverse design found only on the Gold Eagle Series. The 1991 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle Coin is currently available to you for purchase online at Silver.com with a perfect NGC certification.
- Coins ship to you inside of protective plastic slabs courtesy of the NGC
- Sixth year of release for the 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coin!
- Availability limited within the original 50,411-coin mintage!
- Consists of One Troy ounce of actual gold content.
- Issued a face value of $50 (USD) by the United States.
- Bears a Grade of PF70 from the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Includes a UCAM designation.
- Obverse features the image of Lady Liberty from Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
- Reverse includes the design of American bald eagles from Miley Busiek.
- “W” mint marks.
The Gold American Eagle coins are available annually in three different versions. The bullion coins are investment-grade specimens with four weights to choose from, while the proof coin is the official collectible version of the nation’s gold bullion coin. The burnished coin was introduced in 2006 and adds a secondary collectible option for gold buyers.
While the bullion Gold Eagle debuted in 1986 with all four weights available, the Proof Gold Eagle debuted that year with just the 1 oz coin. The fractional weights would be added to the series in 1987 and 1988. The burnished Gold Eagles are available only as a 1 oz coin with no fractional weights ever offered.
The 1991 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coin saw its mintage drop by 12,000 coins from the previous issue year. It was also the lowest mintage figure among the four weights in proof this year, with the 1/10 oz coin garnering the most demand at 70,334 coins struck.
On the obverse of the 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coin is Lady Liberty. Designed in 1907 by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the image appeared on the $20 Gold Double Eagle from 1907 to 1933.
The reverse side of the 1991 1 oz Proof Gold American Eagle coin features the depiction of a family of bald eagles in their nest. The design includes a female eagle watching over a nest that contains a group of hatchlings, while a male eagle is shown flying overhead. This was designed in 1986 by Miley Busiek specifically for the Gold Eagle Series.
We encourage Silver.com customers to contact us with questions at 888-989-7223. You can also connect with us online through our live chat service and email address.