The Proof Silver American Eagle entered a new era in 1993 as the production of the popular coins shifted away from the initial facility for the first time. In 1993, the Silver American Eagle was in the midst of a strange trend in mintage levels that saw production ebb and flow from year to year. The 1993-P Proof Silver American Eagle is now available on Silver.com in perfect condition.
- Only 934 coins exist in this condition!
- Eighth release of the Proof Silver American Eagle coin.
- Ships in a plastic slab to protect the coin’s condition.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Face value of $1 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded PR70 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- DCAM designation from the PCGS.
- First time issue with a “P” mint mark from the Philadelphia Mint.
- Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle on the reverse.
The 1993 Silver American Eagle coins were released at a time of up-and-down mintage in the history of the program. Since 1990 alone, overall mintage had gone up, down, and up again in the three years to follow ending with the release of these 1993 coins.
For the proof coins over this period though, mintage was much more straight forward. Since hitting 695,000 coins in 1990, the Proof Silver American Eagle coins mintage had steadily declined over the ensuing years to hit 405,913 coins in 1993.
The 1993 Proof Silver American Eagle coin was the first in the series to be produced somewhere other than the San Francisco Mint, the original home of the Silver American Eagle coin series. Production was moved to the Philadelphia Mint this year. A selection of the proofs from this year were included in the Philadelphia Set, a five-coin set that honored the 200th anniversary of the Philadelphia Mint.
Each 1993 Proof Silver American Eagle coin in this product listing earned a perfect PR70 grade from the PCGS. Coins in this condition exhibit full, original mint luster and lack detracting flaws on the surfaces.
DCAM is a designation for proof coins with a unique finish. The design of this coin appears to float above the surface courtesy of its strong, frosted finish. The background field features a deeply-mirrored, clear finish.
On the obverse is the Walking Liberty design from Adolph A. Weinman. The reverse features the heraldic eagle of the United States, modernized for the coins by John Mercanti.
Please direct your questions to a Silver.com associate at 888-989-7223, connect with us online using our live chat, or simply email us with your questions.