There was no period of production for the Silver American Eagle coin that exhibited greater stability than that stretching from 2003 to 2005. Within this three-year period, the Silver American Eagle saw its overall mintage maintain a range of just 500,000 coins in difference from high (2005) to low (2002). Right now, the 2004-W Proof Silver American Eagle coin is available in perfect condition on Silver.com.
- There are 9,917 coins available in this condition and finish!
- 19th annual release of a Proof Silver American Eagle coin!
- Arrives in a protective plastic slab.
- Consists of one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Bears a face value of $1 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a grade of PF70 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- Features an Ultra-cameo finish.
- Includes the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
- Walking Liberty on the obverse.
- Heraldic eagle on the reverse.
Mintage levels for 2004 ticked upward just slightly to 9.684 million from 9.242 million the year before. The bullion version of the coin accounted for most of the growth, climbing by just under 400,000 coins in total. The 2004-W Proof Silver American Eagle grew in demand by roughly 56,000 coins.
Despite the high sales figures for the Proof Silver American Eagle, final figures remained well below the US Mint’s established maximum of 850,000 coins for the year. Much of this was likely due to the increase in the price of the coins and an increased overall maximum. Proof mintage was increased by 100,000 for 2004, and pricing jumped by $3.95 per coin from the prior year to $27.95.
On the obverse of the coin is the image of Walking Liberty from Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty Half Dollar coin. The reverse continues to feature the heraldic eagle of the United States as refined by John Mercanti for the Silver Eagle in 1986. Silver prices throughout 2004 hovered around $6.67 per ounce, but enjoyed two brief spikes over $8.00 per ounce.
Each of these 2004-W Proof Silver American Eagle coins earned a perfect PF70 grade from the NGC. Coins in this condition exhibit full, original mint luster and lack any detracting flaws. You’ll notice an Ultra-cameo finish on these coins, indicating the presence of a strong, frosted design finish and a deeply-mirrored, clear background field.
Please direct your questions to a Silver.com associate at 888-989-7223, chat with us live online, or email us with your questions.